Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Great wheels in New Haven Clock Company clock

I am restoring a New Haven Clock Company wall clock with a going and striking train. All the pinions in this clock are lantern pinions. I notice that both great wheels touch their respective lantern pinions on the next arbor in their trains in a wobble. The teeth of these great wheels, therefore, do not touch the lantern pinion's trundles in one place but sort of fan across them. I am wondering if this is a design feature to reduce the wear on the trundles or whether these great wheels have just warped over time?

I have a short video to go with it to explain the wobble better but cannot attach it as I think the zip file it is in is too large. But if you are interested I can email it to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4094-001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	344101  

Default Re: Great wheels in New Haven Clock Company clock (By: MtKuile)

I think this will do better in the Clock Repair forum.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

email me the video to THT711@gmail.com and I will see if I can post it to YouTube and set a link in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by MtKuile View Post
    I am restoring a New Haven Clock Company wall clock with a going and striking train. All the pinions in this clock are lantern pinions. I notice that both great wheels touch their respective lantern pinions on the next arbor in their trains in a wobble. The teeth of these great wheels, therefore, do not touch the lantern pinion's trundles in one place but sort of fan across them. I am wondering if this is a design feature to reduce the wear on the trundles or whether these great wheels have just warped over time?

I have a short video to go with it to explain the wobble better but cannot attach it as I think the zip file it is in is too large. But if you are interested I can email it to you.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Sounds to me like the great wheels are a little bent, or not assembled perfectly true. This is not a precision clocks. A little runout on the lantern probably won't the operation.

RC

Default Re: Great wheels in New Haven Clock Company clock (By: R. Croswell)

That time side wheel is in pretty bad shape. It's going to need some attention minimally, and perhaps should be replaced.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Great wheels in New Haven Clock Company clock (By: shutterbug)

The whole movement looks a little sad besides the time main wheel. The hammer bent in that shape to hit the gong looks quite questionable, it really doesn't line up with the sweet spot on the gong, looks like the movement could have come out of a different case.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863