Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Iron Front Clock Maker

Just received my Iron Front clock today. The label is badly mangled and the movements not signed does anyone know who the maker might be? I've got an artist who's going to touch up the gold design etc. for me. The movement needs some attention and cleaning. Should be a nice clock when finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01023.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	343924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01024.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	343925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01026.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	343927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01025.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	343926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01014.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	343921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01015.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	343922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01022.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	343923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01013.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	343920

Default Re: Iron Front Clock Maker (By: sylvester12)

I think it is Waterbury Clock Co.

Missy

Default Re: Iron Front Clock Maker

The movement is a 30-hour New Haven. Waterbury had a similar one, but the distinctive shape of the EW bridge foot gives it away. Too bad about the label. Without researching, I wonder, maybe Owen and Clark (1865-61/2)? No markings at all on the iron case? The words "Patent Pending" on the bezel are also interesting. S. E. Root had a patent for such granted in May 1859; maybe this is an early example, before the patent was granted?
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Iron Front Clock Maker (By: Steven Thornberry)

Just for the hell of it, a link to some Owen & Clark iron-front clocks.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Here's a better picture of the label or what's left of it. I looked over the casting really well and didn't see any markings. I was trying to find a similar label on another iron front but no luck yet.

Name:	DSC01012.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	343948

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    The movement is a 30-hour New Haven. Waterbury had a similar one, but the distinctive shape of the EW bridge foot gives it away. Too bad about the label. Without researching, I wonder, maybe Owen and Clark (1865-61/2)? No markings at all on the iron case? The words "Patent Pending" on the bezel are also interesting. S. E. Root had a patent for such granted in May 1859; maybe this is an early example, before the patent was granted?

I would say your right about Owen and Clark I just found this label which is the same as mine. Great call as always.

Name:	8495_B.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	343949

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester12 View Post
    I would say your right about Owen and Clark I just found this label which is the same as mine. Great call as always.

Name:	8495_B.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	343949
    I saw that label. It's similar but not really the same (different style lettering, different border). However, it's similarities may be enough to confirm my suspicion. A look through past issues of the Bulletin may bring up something, I suppose.

This is the site I found the case attributed to Waterbury. Another site said it appeared in an 1867 Waterbury sales catalog. But the remaining label didn't seem to match. These cases were sold to different clock companies. The American Clock Co. sold a lot of these iron front clocks also and the label could possibly match. It could be Owens & Clark since the labels are very similar.

I would be afraid to try to touch up the gold. It would be so hard to match the color and there is so much of it. There are pictures of different sections of the clock on this site showing the details.

Missy

Default Re: Iron Front Clock Maker

[QUOTE=Missy;1114292]This is the site I found the case attributed to Waterbury. Another site said it appeared in an 1867 Waterbury sales catalog. But the remaining label didn't seem to match. These cases were sold to different clock companies. The American Clock Co. sold a lot of these iron front clocks also and the label could possibly match. It could be Owens & Clark since the labels are very similar.

I would be afraid to try to touch up the gold. It would be so hard to match the color and there is so much of it. There are pictures of different sections of the clock on this site showing the details.

Missy[/QU

I concur regarding the beautiful old painted finish. I would leave well enough alone.
    NAWCC 25131

Default Re: Iron Front Clock Maker (By: Peter A. Nunes)

[QUOTE=Peter A. Nunes;1114331]
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    This is the site I found the case attributed to Waterbury. Another site said it appeared in an 1867 Waterbury sales catalog. But the remaining label didn't seem to match. These cases were sold to different clock companies. The American Clock Co. sold a lot of these iron front clocks also and the label could possibly match. It could be Owens & Clark since the labels are very similar.

Missy[/QU

I concur regarding the beautiful old painted finish. I would leave well enough alone.
    She's really good at what she does and she's honest , if she tells me it can't be matched properly I won't do it. It's a really pretty clock and think how much nicer it would look if the gold was redone where needed.

If she needs a picture of the gold detail, there is a good close-up of the top of the clock and different sections on the site I mentioned above. Have you tried wiping the clock with a damp rag and a bit of mild soap? That may bring some of the gold out as it is probably covered with a lot of grime after so many years.

Anyway, it is a beautiful clock and please come back and let us know how it comes out.

Missy