Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush.

It seems to me that Ray has - probably not intentionally - invited us to post a few "selfies" - as I believe the modern term to be.
    So here I am - in 1953, (for the horological interest, in the Vallee de Joux ).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paul 1953.jpg  
    Last edited by Audemars; 05-18-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: i before e, except after c

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: PapaLouies)

A good looking young Lad; was the Water Cold? Regards Ray

My Grandmother on my Dads side was from Australia I got a photo of the square rigger that brought her Family to Australia. Grampa met her in the 1920's when in the US Navy when his ship visited Australia. I live in the boondocks in MT I bet we got animals tougher than crocks this happen a few miles from me my Dad use to live across the street from this guys Dad. This guy is lucky to be alive. Mods you can delete it if improper or it offends any one after math of a Grizzly attack.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
    Last edited by River rat; 05-18-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: River rat)

There's nothing more dangerous than a saltwater croc, unless you are talking about mosquitoes.

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    There's nothing more dangerous than a saltwater croc, unless you are talking about mosquitoes.
    Just did a search on the net for the difference in weight between the saltwater crock and a Grizzly and you would not believe what popped up Grizzly V saltwater crock who would win that question been asked a lot on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by River rat View Post
    Just did a search on the net for the difference in weight between the saltwater crock and a Grizzly and you would not believe what popped up Grizzly V saltwater crock who would win that question been asked a lot on the net.
    I believe that if you put a grizzly in an enclosure with a lion, that the lion would lose. If a grizzly went fishing in a river where salties were, the grizzly would lose.

While you are at it with googly try the phrase; bite strength.

Blog Entries

Interesting. Since we're off topic (whatever it is) I was traveling in the Yukon last summer, met a First Nation guy who used to be a hunting guide (big game sheep, bears, etc.), and also metal detects for gold (is doing it in Australia in the winter here, and is starting a fishing guide business there too). Anyway, he was telling me some very interesting bear encounter stories from his time as a hunting guide. He said the big black bears up there are actually more dangerous and vicious than the grizzlies, they'll attack you on a whim, and eat you. One chased him into a lake that he ran into to get away from it (he was surprised by it without his rifle on him), all he could do was yell and splash the bear who snorted and choked and swam out, then swam back in to get him a couple of times. He said he was sure he was a goner, growing weak from swimming to try to avoid the bear. Finally his guide buddy woke up from his nap in the nearby cabin and saw his predicament, and shot the bear. Day in the life in the Yukon...

Here's a pic of me on the road to Keno City (once booming silver mine area). Watch content: that's a Seiko Alpinist on my wrist :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kenoroad8.jpg  

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: rstl99)

I'd heard that the black bears were the most unpredictably dangerous.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: roughbarked)

I was travelling with my daughter, and we tented in an amazing place called Tombstone Valley, on the Dempster Highway (isolated gravel road that heads all the way up to the Arctic). We gave a short ride to a nice Australian lady, who was in the Yukon to participate in a once in a lifetime river rafting trip on the Yukon River (or was it the Nahanni, I forget). Nice lady, just traveling solo with a backpack. We dropped her off at the trailhead to "Grizzly Lake", after she had been updated on bear sightings in the area, at the park lodge up the road. I admire people like that.

Saw this on PBS last year night of the grizzly were there was two grizzly bear attacks by two different bears in different parts of Glacier National park in 1967 one women was dragged out of her tent two women died that night and one man mulled but lived watch it if if its on your local PBS channel.
    https://www.aptonline.org/catalog.ns...+THE+GRIZZLIES

Default Re: The ravages of Time, Booze and living the Bush. (By: River rat)

Think I'd be more worried about Polar bears. They are the stronger grizzly cousins and they frequent more than just north America.

Wonder what mulled man tastes like?

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    A good looking young Lad; was the Water Cold? Regards Ray
    At that altitude - very cold. Even in high summer.
    I was thirteen.

In the early sixties I shared a flat with a pal in Glastonbury (UK). He decided to go off around the world. His first stop was Canada where he got a job watching for forest fires. he wrote that he had to bounce .22 slugs off the the Grizzlies to discourage them from his bacon store.
    For the last 25 years or so he has lived in Kununurra W Australia where he fishes for some very big fish, the name of which I can't remember.
    He says that occasionally he foul-hooks a smallish saltie, when the phrase "cut line" takes on a whole new meaning.
    I shall consult with him about the grizzly vs saltie controversy

P
    Last edited by Audemars; 05-19-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Think I'd be more worried about Polar bears. They are the stronger grizzly cousins and they frequent more than just north America.

Wonder what mulled man tastes like?
    Less deadly encounters with polar bears
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

For some reason at this trail head this sign makes you want to carry a 44 mag pistol because after seeing that video I posted bear spray seems not to work.
    Last edited by River rat; 05-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Even a salt water croc wouldn't mess with a Hippo.

Hi, a fight between a big Croc and a Grizzly would have one outcome; the Bear would get eaten. A big Croc outweighs a Grizzly by about 3 times the weight with a bite strength of about 3 times the PSI of the Bear. Crocs are very smart and will plan and wait for the opportunity to strike for weeks. They watch a person and get to know their routine and when the time is right they strike, not many people escape a big Croc. I live about 4 Kilometers from the Elizabeth River which has a large population of Crocs. My Mate Shorty has been servicing the outboard motors at jumping Crocs for years; despite my warnings he still goes in the water. I go back to Pocket Watches after this post. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9c499eb12067a074e1b16f5e96297148.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	344222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A%20saltwater%20crocodile%20gides%20through%20the%20water%20near%20Darwin%20-%20AAP-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	344223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brutus.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	344224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Mate Shorty.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	344225 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-01-1...arbour/1015408
    Last edited by Omexa; 05-19-2017 at 12:20 PM.