Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cuckoo Clock runs too fast

I've just had my Regula 25 1-day cuckoo clock returned from service after about 3 years. The pendulum appeared to be the original one, and its leaf weight was approximately in the position I remembered it to be on the stem. However, initially the clock gained 80 minutes across 12 hours. Even when the leaf was moved to an unnaturally low position on the stem (almost off the end), it still gained about 5 minutes across 12 hours. I have now been sent a pendulum with a much larger leaf and, again, I've had to move this to a very low position on the stem to get it almost within tolerance. But it looks odd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	343855

Could anyone please advise me whether there are any other factors that may change the workings of the mechanism. I notice that the chains have been replaced. The weights look like the original ones, but I did not make a note of their spec before I sent the clock away.

All suggestions extremely welcome. Thanks.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: Ansel Spear)

3 years?

Is that the last time fresh oil was applied?

I did not make note, is a bad appraisal.

forget the size of the weight or the length of the original rod?
    what is different about the chains?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast

Replacing the movement could have this affect on the pendulum, as they come with 3 different rated pendulum lengths. A new movement comes with new chains.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Replacing the movement could have this affect on the pendulum, as they come with 3 different rated pendulum lengths. A new movement comes with new chains.
    Yeah. A new movement is ALL new and it should actually not need to be regulated off the end of the pendulum thread, in any direction. Unless of course the old pendulum is applied to the new movement without viewing the pendulum supplied with the new movement. But.. after three years the repairer should probably have noticed this.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: harold bain)

To be honest, it probably hasn't been oiled since 1987! But during that time, the adjustments to the pendulum have been minor. I haven't taken the back off, but I paid for a service, and not a new movement. He didn't mention a new movement when I collected it so I'm assuming it's the original.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: harold bain)

I'm with Harold on this one. It is usually cheaper replace these movements
    than to repair them.
    My guess is that they swapped in the wrong movement.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: Tinker Dwight)

The movement wasn't so much faulty, as a local company messed about with it, and the sync between all the functions was completely out. This was corrected and a service given (so I have been told).
    Apart from memory and commonsense, how can I determine whether it's a different movement? If they have swapped in the wrong movement, why would that affect its regulation., Apologies if these are dumb questions.

- - - Updated - - -

What is different about the chains? They're not tarnished like the others were.

It has to be a reluctant cuckoo clock that takes three months to get out of here and I have never replaced a cuckoo clock movement in 46 years of repairing them.

Sonmebody has mucked up somewhere.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 05-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    Yeah. A new movement is ALL new and it should actually not need to be regulated off the end of the pendulum thread, in any direction. Unless of course the old pendulum is applied to the new movement without viewing the pendulum supplied with the new movement. But.. after three years the repairer should probably have noticed this.
    There are no threads on these cuckoo pendulums. And new movements don't come with new pendulums. My suspicion is due to poster saying there are new chains. The only other thing would be a too short pendulum instead of the original one, if the movement was not replaced.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

A good close-up photo of the movement will tell the tale.

3 years! Never leave anything anywhere for more than a month or two ... you're lucky to get it back.

Willie X

Maybe it is just trying to make up for lost time :-X

Seriously - have you noticed the minute hand suddenly moving ahead way too fast and hearing a "flutter"? It is not common on cuckoos, but could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel Spear View Post
    I've just had my Regula 25 1-day cuckoo clock returned from service after about 3 years. The pendulum appeared to be the original one, and its leaf weight was approximately in the position I remembered it to be on the stem. However, initially the clock gained 80 minutes across 12 hours. Even when the leaf was moved to an unnaturally low position on the stem (almost off the end), it still gained about 5 minutes across 12 hours. I have now been sent a pendulum with a much larger leaf and, again, I've had to move this to a very low position on the stem to get it almost within tolerance. But it looks odd.

Could anyone please advise me whether there are any other factors that may change the workings of the mechanism. I notice that the chains have been replaced. The weights look like the original ones, but I did not make a note of their spec before I sent the clock away.

All suggestions extremely welcome. Thanks.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: THTanner)

He needs to run it for a few hours to tell if it is fluttering ( possible ).
    Let it run and check it once an hour and note the difference.
    If it is fluttering, there will be a different amount of time gained
    for each hour. If it is a constant gain, each hour, it is the pendulum
    length issue.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    I'm with Harold on this one. It is usually cheaper replace these movements
    than to repair them.
    My guess is that they swapped in the wrong movement.
    Tinker Dwight
    That sounds like the most likely scenario to me too. I'd send it back to the shop to do it right.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock runs too fast (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    That sounds like the most likely scenario to me too. I'd send it back to the shop to do it right.
    Only if he is prepared to wait another 3 years. I would try to find a longer pendulum if that is the only problem noted.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Look onThe back of the movement. On the right-hand side on the vertical pillar check to see if there is a centimeter number that would be the pendulum length