Goal: $300, Received: $135.00 (45%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mainspring Confusion.

I took an 8 day Kienzle T/S movement apart in order to clean it. Now I'm 99% sure, not a 100%, that I kept the right and left springs in the correct orientation on my bench: time on the right and strike on the left. I then noticed that the spring on the right is stamped 'S' which I am assuming means 'strike'. Before I do the cleaning and reassembly, I'd like to know if there is a way of telling which spring goes where
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kienzle mainsprings.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	343851

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by stewey View Post
    I took an 8 day Kienzle T/S movement apart in order to clean it. Now I'm 99% sure, not a 100%, that I kept the right and left springs in the correct orientation on my bench: time on the right and strike on the left. I then noticed that the spring on the right is stamped 'S' which I am assuming means 'strike'. Before I do the cleaning and reassembly, I'd like to know if there is a way of telling which spring goes where
    I don't even have to expand your images to know that stamped means a different thing from a watch or clock repairer scratching his own marks.
    What I am now going to ask you, is why you didn't mark them right and left according to the way you viewed them as you pulled them down?

I was taught to not think ahead. To mark things the way they are before taking them down. Evaluation of what those marks mean begins while cleaning and reassembling. Each lid may or may not have been mixed by a previous reassembler. Take nothing for granted, check it yourself.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 05-16-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: roughbarked)

Well, I'll tell ya; I did mark a 'T' on the right-hand spring barrel; however, guess what?...It disappeared during my handling of it. Logic indicates that the 'S' barrel should go on the left side of the movement, but this clock might have been running for years with the 'S' spring on the right ( the clock was running and striking when I got it).

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: roughbarked)

Did you take any pics before you stripped in down? If so then you'll see little marks and scratches that you can use to I.D which way around they go.
    That said, if the main wheels/toothcount, arbours/pivots, barrels are the same/size I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it
    On these, the springs are likely to be the same strength too, prob about 0.40-45mm so that is unlikely to help you.
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: shimmystep)

Welcome back Shimmystep.

David
    David S

Shimmystep, yes: I've got loads of photos, and they do indicate by a pattern of striations on the "S' barrel that it was indeed on the right (time) side. This is part of my confusion. Perhaps you are correct is saying that I shouldn't be really concerned.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: stewey)

I would just go ahead and finish the job. When you take the springs out to service you could measure them then.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: Kevin W.)

That's a good point, Kevin.

Well, I'll tell ya; I did mark a 'T' on the right-hand spring barrel; however, guess what?...It disappeared during my handling of it. Logic indicates that the 'S' barrel should go on the left side of the movement, but this clock might have been running for years with the 'S' spring on the right ( the clock was running and striking when I got it).
    You are partway there when you realise that your marks should disappear after you need them.

Shimmystep, yes: I've got loads of photos, and they do indicate by a pattern of striations on the "S' barrel that it was indeed on the right (time) side. This is part of my confusion. Perhaps you are correct is saying that I shouldn't be really concerned.
    All components measuring up the same=no problem.
    Even if the 'S' did mean 'strike' on the barrel cap, who's to say someone hasn't put it back on the wrong barrel before now anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Welcome back Shimmystep.

David
    Thanks David
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: shimmystep)

That crossed my mind also, shimmystep...Some other dude done it

Often the strike will have a stronger spring. If the springs measured the same I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    When you wind it, after a weeks run, count the turns. If the difference is slight, that would indicate similar or identical springs. If the difference is a turn or more, this might indicate that it needs a slightly thicker spring on the strike. But, still no worries if the strike runs the right speed.
    I have a German wall clock that has a strike spring nearly twice as thick as the time spring.
    Willie X

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: Willie X)

Thanks for that, Willie X.

If someone went to the trouble to stamp the barrel cover they may have also placed a mark on the end tab of the spring. I would take the springs out for cleaning, you may (or may not) find an obvious answer.

RC

Default Re: Mainspring Confusion. (By: R. Croswell)

I never place permanent marks on any wheel spring or other part of a movement, I use key tags or metal brass pieces showing what they are, L, R, 1, 2, etc, and attach with either a wire or spring device like a safety pin.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863