Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Advice On Waltham Parts Movements

I'm starting this new thread about another watch in the repair forum hoping to get some advice.

I picked up what turned out to be a Waltham model 1883 grade 40 but it needs parts--balance staff, roller table, upper balance hole jewel and yoke spring.

I found a couple of watches in an antique shop that I'm wondering might be good for parts. Here are the links to the serial number info:

Model 1883 grade 1

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ltham/11388027

Model 1883 grade PS Bartlett

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ltham/11506610

Hoping to get some opinions on whether either of these would be good candidates for parts for this grade 40.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: Paul Raposo)

Paul. other than the yoke spring, the rest is potluck as there were many different balance staffs, small hub, large hub, plus the many pivot sizes. the jewel is also potluck depending on the opening in the plate or balance cock.

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: richiec)

Thanks much for your post richiec and might I add, rats

I was hoping there might be enough uniformity in the parts across the model 1883 that I would luck out.

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements

Let's go through these parts (from my understanding, anyway)...

Balance staff - My understanding is that some very early '83 models used the #1364 staff, whereas all the rest used the #1365 staff. The only difference between these two is the diameter of the hub. Both are readily available.

Roller table - I believe this (outer and hole diameters) was consistent throughout production. However, there may be slight differences in the diameter of the roller jewel from piece to piece. So, you will need to check this against your pallet fork slot. Readily available.

Yoke - Also consistent throughout production. Readily available.

Balance jewels - outside diameter of these jewels did change at least once and maybe more during production. You might be OK if you pick a parts movement with a close serial number. Also, need to get jewels with the right hole size based on the staff you get. Trickier, but readily available.

Given the parts you need, might be best to get NOS parts instead of raiding a parts movement. Definitely the right thing to do for the balance staff as you don't want to try to reuse one that you have removed from another balance. Also better to get a yoke that hasn't already been subjected to repeated use.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Dave and Paul, as to the roller table, I believe that the diameter of the shaft on the bottom of the staff may have also changed over time, I went through this once.

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: richiec)

Great advice Dave and richiec, thank you I'll keep an eye out for old stock parts and go from there. Thanks for the numbers Dave, that will help with my search.

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: Paul Raposo)

Richie,
    You could be right, but I have never experienced this. I believe the #1365 staff remained consistent over time. (Outside the 1 or 2 hundredths variations one commonly sees among different staff manufacturers.)

Default Re: Advice On Waltham Parts Movements (By: Dave Coatsworth)

I spoke with my watch repairer and he feels that sourcing the parts, the cost of the parts and the cost of the work is going to go beyond my budget and he honestly believes this isn't the movement to spend that kind of money on.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this and provided their knowledge and thoughts to this thread. When this watch turns up on that auction site I hope no one is offended.

I appreciate your help.