Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.



Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cuckoo Question

  1. #1

    Default Cuckoo Question

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a cuckoo question. It concerns a cuckoo with three trains. The clock has two doors; one for the cuckoo and one for the little boy. I have it all done. I thought. My concern is that when it cuckoos the door for the boy opens but closes at the end of the cuckoo but then reopens as the music plays. Is it supposed to open when it cuckoos? I believe the levers for this are down between the plates. Should they be readjusted if a change is needed?

    Thanks, Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cuckoo Picture 3 train.jpg  

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: Frank Manning)

    The musician door should stay closed until after the cuckoo. The cuckoo door closes, the other door opens, and the music starts. The door is probably controlled by the music train, but often has a cam lever in the upper left corner looking into the back.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: shutterbug)

    Could we get a shot higher up in the inside, to where the bird and the music man live?
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

  4. #4
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    The musician door should stay closed until after the cuckoo. The cuckoo door closes, the other door opens, and the music starts. The door is probably controlled by the music train, but often has a cam lever in the upper left corner looking into the back.
    The cam lever you describe does run off the music box. If the door is opening at the wrong time, some resynchronising is needed. in some of these clocks, this is hidden in the attic of the case. The case needs to have the ceiling taken out to access it.

  5. #5
    Registered User Willys_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pleasant View, Utah
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: roughbarked)

    Many cuckoos have a lever/wire that stops the governor on the music box while the cuckoo is active. When the cuckoo stops, the lever/wire moves enough to allow the governor to turn freely. It's hard to tell from this pic if that is the way this cuckoo was engineered.

  6. #6
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question

    Yes but this isn't where the door opens from. A cam is generally turned by the music box and this cam opens and shuts the music man's door. If it is out of synch it generally has a grub screw so that it can be adjusted correctly.

    This clock has a different system. The rod that opens the music door is on the right of the clock and I suspect that the worm drive runs the door? This could mean that the warning wire is running the music box too soon but that would also mean that the music is starting as the cuckoo is still counting hours.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 05-15-2017 at 05:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calif. USA
    Posts
    13,124

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: roughbarked)

    This being a count wheel clock with specific hardware to run the
    zither player, it might be completely different than the more modern
    movements where the music is more of an add on.
    I think before I'd say much, I'd need to see a video of the
    mechanism in action and most likely the front of the movement
    as well, since I can't see any coupling between the strike and
    music at the back of the movement.
    Tinker Dwight

  8. #8
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: Tinker Dwight)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    This being a count wheel clock with specific hardware to run the
    zither player, it might be completely different than the more modern
    movements where the music is more of an add on.
    I think before I'd say much, I'd need to see a video of the
    mechanism in action and most likely the front of the movement
    as well, since I can't see any coupling between the strike and
    music at the back of the movement.
    Tinker Dwight
    This is true.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: roughbarked)

    I recall seeing this movement before, now. There is a release wire between the strike and music wheels, which I don't see in the pic. However, it's between the plates, so may be there. The music goes into warn when the cuckoo activates. The count lever falling into the deep slot releases the warn lever, and the music man comes out when the music train starts. The worm gear controls the fly, but there's also another wheel behind it. There's a cam between the plates that wears and messes up the warning system. I'm not sure how you would go about making one of those. It releases one pin and quickly stops another. When it wears out, it allows the second pin to be missed so the train starts prematurely.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

  10. #10
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: shutterbug)

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I recall seeing this movement before, now. There is a release wire between the strike and music wheels, which I don't see in the pic. However, it's between the plates, so may be there. The music goes into warn when the cuckoo activates. The count lever falling into the deep slot releases the warn lever, and the music man comes out when the music train starts. The worm gear controls the fly, but there's also another wheel behind it. There's a cam between the plates that wears and messes up the warning system. I'm not sure how you would go about making one of those. It releases one pin and quickly stops another. When it wears out, it allows the second pin to be missed so the train starts prematurely.
    Interesting information. As may be inferred by my previous posts. I haven't seen this movement before this.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: roughbarked)

    Thank you everybody for your information. With that I believe I found the answer; at least it works now. There isn't anything in the upper area or no fly on the music box . The music box is just the ddrum and a gear. If you view the side door thee is a vertical lever that activates the boy arm. That vertical lever has attached to it, between the plates, a lever that goes over to the strike side. So, that lever activates it and the door is opened by the vertical lever in the side view. The gap there is very important. I had to adjust the lever arm between the plates and the vertical one in the side view. Now it is running correct,

    Thanks, Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cuckoo side view.jpg   IMG_1215.jpg  

  12. #12
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Cuckoo Question (By: Frank Manning)

    It looks to be one of the better made cuckoo clocks.

Similar Threads

  1. Schatz cuckoo question
    By bangster in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
  2. Cuckoo Question
    By dwhipper61 in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
  3. A couple of cuckoo questions
    By bangster in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
  4. Cuckoo question
    By Sooth in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
  5. cuckoo question
    By Billy in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •