Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'bottomed"

I need help with my design... As noted in the snapshot, when the weight reaches its final resting place, (and thus is no longer transmitting power to the gear-train), the pallet, and escape-wheel invariably stop tip-to-tip. I've tried adjusting the angle of the impulse face, and adjusting the depth of the pallet's entry into the escapement-wheel. The clock runs fine. My concern is: when the clock stops, the inertia from the swinging pallet has the potential of moving the anchor out of position. What am I missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tip-to-tip2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	343586  

Default anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'bottomed" (By: Changing Times)

... correction: the sentence above should read, "the inertia from the swinging pendulum, (not swinging pallet)...

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto (By: Changing Times)

this is why e.g turret clocks have a device that disconnects the pendulum from the anchor in that said condition so that the anchor pallet is not driven into the flancs of an e.w.tooth and destroying it.Think of a crutch that lets free the ancor pin when there is no power on the train and the e.w. is not moving foreward.
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto (By: Burkhard Rasch)

Thank you Burkhard. I'm glad to know there are solutions to my dilemma. To borrow from Persius, I'm now trying to create something from nothing... Can you direct me to a drawing of such a device? Again, many thanks for your reply!

Registered user.

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto (By: Changing Times)

You might try a simple thing. A ball bearing in a hole held with
    a light spring. Something like use on a socket to hold it onto the
    socket wrench.
    You adjust the spring so it is tight enough to not slip when
    running but a sudden stop it pops out.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto

here are pics of the "letting free crutch" of my tower clock,made by E.Korffhage & Sons.HTH
    Burkhard

PS pics changed order and direction by themselves,sorry!
    B.R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3066.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	344847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3065.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	344848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3064.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	344849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3063.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	344850  
    (Persius)

Registered user.

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto (By: Burkhard Rasch)

Similar to my spring and ball except I was thinking more at the anchors
    arbor.
    I can see how the end of the crutch might be a better idea.
    You'd want to play with the depth of the V and the amount of weight
    so that it says put during normal operation. The pivot being just a little
    loose is not a big deal as most crutches have a little play anyway.
    If the weight stopped before the cable did, you can put a screw
    or something on the weight so it tilts sideways. This will bring thinds
    to a gradual stop.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto

Those are great pics, Burkhard! Thank you very much. I have one question regarding them. From what I can tell from the angle of the photos, there is 'nothing' behind the pendulum in the way of mechanism. Is that correct? Again, thank you very much for your help.

Default Re: anchor escapement problem: pallet/escapement wheel, tip-to-tip when weight 'botto (By: Tinker Dwight)

Thanks Tinker Dwight. I'm having difficulty visualizing what you mean by: 'putting a screw
    or something on the weight so it tilts sideways.' It seems to me that whatever method is used, the tension in the cable/chain, will equalize at a given rate...

You´re right,the movement is sitting on its support construction and the pendulum-suspended with a double suspension spring swings behind the movement and 2-3cm distance from the wall.There is no other "mechanism" besides the horizontal pin on which the swivel lever of the crutch is resting.
    Burkhard
    (Persius)

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Changing Times View Post
    Thanks Tinker Dwight. I'm having difficulty visualizing what you mean by: 'putting a screw
    or something on the weight so it tilts sideways.' It seems to me that whatever method is used, the tension in the cable/chain, will equalize at a given rate...
    This wasn't too clear. The idea is that as the weight hits a surface and the bottom of the weight is
    flat, the weight stops more abruptly. If there is something on the bottom of the weight that
    makes it fall sideways, the tension on the cable is less abrupt as it hit the surface. This allows
    the tension to gradually reduce, giving more time for the pendulum to decay its swing and
    not come to an abrupt stop by jamming against the escapement wheel.
    It still reaches a point that it needs to slide on the back side of the tooth. The clutch
    like Burkhard shows it most likely the best method.
    Tinker Dwight