Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Waltham Jewel Hole Sizing

I'm new to the hobby of watch repair and still have a lot to learn. I need an upper balance hole jewel for a Model 1883 18s Waltham pocket watch. I tried to measure the pivot on the balance wheel and came up with 0.12 mm so I ordered a 0.13 mm jewel. However, the balance wheel seems to get jammed in the jewel hole when I try to put the balance wheel into the cock. Would that indicate a hole that is too small or have I screwed something else up?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Waltham Jewel Hole Sizing (By: Jim Crawford)

Sorry, I meant to post this in watch repair.

Blog Entries

Possibly the jewel was not actually a 12 pivot, usually I get or try to get a selection of different sizes and hope for the best. Lacking a jewel hole gauge it is always a crapshoot when someone else sells you the jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crawford View Post
    I'm new to the hobby of watch repair and still have a lot to learn. I need an upper balance hole jewel for a Model 1883 18s Waltham pocket watch. I tried to measure the pivot on the balance wheel and came up with 0.12 mm so I ordered a 0.13 mm jewel. However, the balance wheel seems to get jammed in the jewel hole when I try to put the balance wheel into the cock. Would that indicate a hole that is too small or have I screwed something else up?
    Thanks.
    Here are a couple of thoughts. While you may have measured a .12 pivot, the end of the pivot may have a slight bit of mushrooming at the end. If you carefully checked the pivot under magnification and it looked good then it is possible that your .13 hole jewel isn't really .13. It is always best to test fit the hole jewel to the pivot before installation. You should be able to see the pivot poke thru the hole and see a slight tilt of the jewel on the pivot. If you haven't damaged the hole jewel by jamming the pivot into it and it is just a tight fit you can dress the pivot and take just enough off to get the result you need. A lathe works best for this and I like to use Gesswein stones among other tools to remove material and harden the pivot.

Roger

Default Re: Waltham Jewel Hole Sizing (By: pocketsrforwatches)

Thanks for your input. I'm learning slowly.