Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Setting up Hermle 1161-853

Hi All,

Just finished cleaning and reassembling a 1987 Hermle 1161-853BS movement. Would the set up process for this be the exactly same as the Hermle 340-020 set up process in the encyclopedia?

http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Hermle_Chime_and_Strike_Setup

I realize the rear wheel for the chime hammers would be a different orientation. Assuming this is the 'chime idler wheel' referenced in the above, or is the above referencing the stopworks idler wheel for the chime section?

Couple of other questions. I've read that the warning wheel pin for the chime side setup is held at about 1 o clock setting when tightening down the stop and chime cams.

Any similar guidance for the warning wheel pin for the strike side? Also, I did find the tiny spring that wraps around the second hand shaft but not sure how much tension to put on it and how to best secure it.

Besides setting up the stopworks and chime/strike hammers per the service manual, any other considerations to think about for this unit?

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853

After you've done a few chimers, Sam, you'll learn that they are all function pretty much the same way. The 1161 is similar enough to the 340 that you'll be able to figure it out as you go.
    If you run into specific problems, we can help you through them.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853 (By: shutterbug)

Thanks shutterbug, will do!

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853 (By: Sam08861)

All, right, I've got it together and got 2 problems.

1. Pendulum keeps stopping.

When the clock was out of the case, I was able to spin the time mechanism by turning the cable barrels, but it did require some force.
    With the unit 'sandwich' together the second hand wheel and the next wheel spin very freely, but once you got to the wheel next to the cable barrel, it required a fair bit of pressure.
    Looking at these pivots, they seem to be nice and round and the gears spin nicely independently.

When I place the pallets so neither is touching the gears, should the time train weight be dropping?

Should I try removing the anchor/verge/pallet piece to see if the time train drops, in case there's no such central position? If so, at what rate should this descend?

2. The chime system works great as I advance to 15, 30 and 45 minutes.

However, at 1 hour, it does not 'go'. Meaning the chime train does not proceed.
    Lifting the levers allows the chime train to run, and then the strike train runs and strikes the appropriate number of hours. Can't seem to easily see anything sticking, so thinking something must be misaligned?

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting or usual suspects for these type of problems? Please let also me know what questions I can answer or if I can take some pictures/videos.

Readjusted the strike hammer and gathering pallet positions, and this seems to have fixed item 2.

So the remaining problem seems to be the time train. removed the arbor/pallets and the weight does not spin down. Thinking I need to take the unit apart and check the time train gears and pivots?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

First, check the arbors for end shake. Then, with the plates in plane with the floor the arbors should drop freely (by their own weight) when lifted with a small screwdriver. The little copper whisker wire goes with the straight side against the second hand shaft. The round end goes under the screw head, minimal pressure.
    Willie X

Registered user.

It has to be a big problem if you don't get any escape wheel movement with the verge out of the movement. Before you split the plates, remove the time train cable drum and check to see if that makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam08861 View Post
    Thinking I need to take the unit apart and check the time train gears and pivots?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam
    Dave Diel

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853 (By: dad1891)

You might have bent a pivot while putting it back together too. The EW and the next one down can be easily bent.

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853 (By: shutterbug)

Thanks folks. I' had taken this apart 3 times now with different results each time. 1st time, the time train was now turning easy, but the chime side was sticking. 2nd time strike side, and the third, I'm back at square one.

Looking closer, I found the second had was dragging and the pin protruding for the chime cam was bent. Removing the incorrectly placed washer under the 2nd hand to the proper side of the case and straightening the rod now allows all 3 trains to move easily. Now to go through the setup up again.

The chime, train and strike mechanisms all seem to work when activated. However, they aren't initiated at the quarter, half or full hours without lifting the levers, so think I must have installed something wrong or something. Taking the unit out of the case again to redo the setup and will report back with the results if they aren't what's supposed to happen.

The timing also is a bit off, but it did run for 12 hours, so the time train seems to be working. I see there's lots of info on setting those up so will try those after I get the set up right.

If you can post a video on Youtube and link to it here we might be able to spot the trouble.

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853

Here's what I see happening.

The chime won't start unless the chime correction hook is lifted. It did start once in this video, but that is rare.

After lifting the hook, it runs over several cams on the locking plate and strikes either once or twice.

sorry for the quality, Youtube is only letting me upload standard definition.
    Last edited by Sam08861; 05-14-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Your problem is the chime lock isn't in place to lock the chime when it completes its chime.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Setting up Hermle 1161-853 (By: harold bain)

Thanks harold,

How would I fix that? Rotate the round plate clockwise 5 degrees?

Looking at the video again and pausing just after the pin drops on the chime lick plate, I see the locking pallet pin is at the 5 o'clock position. (42 seconds into the video for example). Assuming I need to loosen, rotate the round locking pallet counterclockwise to be at the 12 of clock position whenever the pin drops into the locking plate (one with the lobes) and then retighten onto the arbor.

will give that a try and report back.

Thanks,

Sam