Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information

Hi, I got this Bulova 23 jewel watch, but I haven't found any information about it.
    The serial number on the back is "J741793 M7", I understand that M7 means that is from 1967.
    Unfortunately I don't have a tool to open the case and see the movement code (I'm looking for a kit)

I have another 23 jewel watch from 1958, what I found that was cool from this one (1967) is that it has roman numerals (I haven't seen a lot of 23 jewels with roman numeral)

I'll attach a couple of pictures so you can look at it, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170511_165349.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	343437

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170511_165333.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	343436

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: tote)

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: tote)

Cool update, I was able to open the case, found that it has a 10CPACD movement, I'll be attaching an image

Is the same as this oneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170511_173002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	343438
    http://www.mybulova.com/bulova-movement/10cpacd

Please let me know if I'm not supposed to add links, I'm new here

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: roughbarked)

Thanks for that! I looked at that page before but didn't find my watch

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information

There was also the 12E series but the autos generally had 30 jewels. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...Bulova_12EBACD

Ha. it was only after this post that I saw your picture.

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: roughbarked)

To decode the movement model number:
    10 means its 10 ligne, sometimes shown as 10''', which means it's nominally 22.558mm in diameter. Some watch companies might refer to it as a 9/0, although that's quite uncommon.
    CP doesn't really mean anything, other than it was produced after the A and B series.
    A means it's auto-winding.
    C means it has a sweep-second hand.
    D means it has a date function.

Bulova is one of my two favorite manufacturers. (Vintage Omegas are the other.) They're great watches to work on, and run really well with minimal effort. Nice watch!

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by tote View Post
    Hi, I got this Bulova 23 jewel watch, but I haven't found any information about it.
    The serial number on the back is "J741793 M7", I understand that M7 means that is from 1967.
    Unfortunately I don't have a tool to open the case and see the movement code (I'm looking for a kit)

I have another 23 jewel watch from 1958, what I found that was cool from this one (1967) is that it has roman numerals (I haven't seen a lot of 23 jewels with roman numeral)

I'll attach a couple of pictures so you can look at it, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nice watch! I love the Roman numerals! I normally go after watches that have the day and date, but if I saw it for sale I would definitely try to get that watch. First thing I would do is lose the band and put a nice leather strap on it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    There was also the 12E series but the autos generally had 30 jewels. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...Bulova_12EBACD

Ha. it was only after this post that I saw your picture.
    Haha yeah I got the movement code, but thanks! that page looks great

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: Accutronica)

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Nice watch! I love the Roman numerals! I normally go after watches that have the day and date, but if I saw it for sale I would definitely try to get that watch. First thing I would do is lose the band and put a nice leather strap on it.

Robert
    Yeah I love Roman numerals too! And definitely, I'm looking for nice straps

Default Re: Bulova 23 jewel, selfwinding, date on dial - Looking for model/information (By: glenhead)

Quote Originally Posted by glenhead View Post
    To decode the movement model number:
    10 means its 10 ligne, sometimes shown as 10''', which means it's nominally 22.558mm in diameter. Some watch companies might refer to it as a 9/0, although that's quite uncommon.
    CP doesn't really mean anything, other than it was produced after the A and B series.
    A means it's auto-winding.
    C means it has a sweep-second hand.
    D means it has a date function.

Bulova is one of my two favorite manufacturers. (Vintage Omegas are the other.) They're great watches to work on, and run really well with minimal effort. Nice watch!

Glen
    Amazing info, thanks! I'm just starting with watches and I'm loving Bulova designs, my father has an 60's omega constellation and wow, it's amazing!