Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee...

Hi all,

Have been lurking for a while but felt it was just about time to show off my watch number four - I hope you all enjoy...

The Whitehurst is now in good hands - and by the time it gets back to me I know it will be perfect...

In the meantime I have my Gridley, my Barwise (which refuses to die despite the horrendous things someone did to it) and now of course the Glover

John.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	343063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	343064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	343065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	343066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	343067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 5.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	343068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	343069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 9.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	343070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signature.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	343071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch Complete.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	343072

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: John in Sweden)

PS I have done some research on Mr. Glover - an interesting character. Member of the Worshipful Company and died a senior warden of it around 1768 from memory. A Muggletonian, a composer of religious music in his spare time and I know he took on a few apprentices from time to time but NOT if it was anyone famous... Have not been able to find any other pocket watches by him online but have found a few of his clocks have gone at auction over the last few years...

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: John in Sweden)

I've always like the lace edge finish to the balance cock, it was only around for a short time and is often found with bits missing, yours looks very good.

Hands look good too, I have a minute hand like that as a second hand on one of my longcase. I've never changed it, I rather like the ingenuity which I assume was some time ago.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: novicetimekeeper)

Thanks for that Nick...

Yes - I was told the lace edge was only around for 10 years or so (?)

The thing I found really interesting too - compared to my 1774 Gridley the weight is noticeably more... Whilst the size is not so different from my other 3 watches the WEIGHT is noticeably more...

That of course and the fact that it has a jewelled (diamond) balance - I know that jewelling in these watches is common later on but I am guessing (?) not as common around 1755 (?)

I'm enjoying the watch very much - ran about minus 2 minutes on the first wind and now going to see if I can get it to finish the next wind plus one or two - which would be lovely...

John

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I've always like the lace edge finish to the balance cock, it was only around for a short time and is often found with bits missing, yours looks very good.

Hands look good too, I have a minute hand like that as a second hand on one of my longcase. I've never changed it, I rather like the ingenuity which I assume was some time ago.

Very pleased - just did my morning wind. The watch gained 30 seconds. Next step is see how she goes over a full 24 hour wind. I'm expecting the way I have her regulated now she'll probably be around plus 1 or 2 minutes. I have a feeling this one is a keeper. Beautiful

Its been a while since I have posted... Mr Glover is still performing beautifully and has definitely become my favourite pocket watch of all... Today I got a couple of fairly cheap but nicely made leather belt pouches I ordered from a lady in the UK - so that I can wear my favourite watch all year round - whether I am in shorts and t shirt or however I am dressed... Thought I would post here for all to see About 5 pounds each and about 3 or 4 pounds for shipping so I will NOT complain John.

PS Mr Glover still running about 1 minute fast over the first 12 hours and finally towards the end of the 24 hour wind maybe 3.5 or so minutes fast - but to be honest, if its running only a minute or so fast for the part of the day that is important to me I really couldn't be bothered to try and regulate it beyond this point. Perfect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Pouch.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	346285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Pouch 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	346286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Pouch 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	346287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Pouch 4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	346288

Hi John, I am not sure about these pouches; are they lined inside? If not they may abrade the Case and the Chemicals used to cure the Hide may Leach out onto the Case. Silk or some soft material was inside the Fob Pockets of Waistcoats. I know because I wore 3 piece Suits a lot many years ago. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	346312

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: Omexa)

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    Hi John, I am not sure about these pouches; are they lined inside? If not they may abrade the Case and the Chemicals used to cure the Hide may Leach out onto the Case.
    [snipped]
    Yes... we've had posts about verdigris... it often occurs
    when brass/copper is exposed to leather. Nasty stuff.

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: Omexa)

Thanks for the heads up there Ray,

I will definitely keep an eye on it - and yes, love the pic - there is no doubt about it - the three piece suit is DEFINITELY the best way of all to go...

Might get one made for the in between weather up here - but definitely not for the winters

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    Hi John, I am not sure about these pouches; are they lined inside? If not they may abrade the Case and the Chemicals used to cure the Hide may Leach out onto the Case. Silk or some soft material was inside the Fob Pockets of Waistcoats. I know because I wore 3 piece Suits a lot many years ago. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	346312

Registered user.

We have not yet heard from Graham about this watch, but I think John is right in saying that a diamond endstone is highly unusual at this period.

The bullseye glass must be a later replacement; watch-glasses at this time were produced by blowing and could not be made thick enough to allow the centre to be ground flat. I also think the cock-screw may be a substitute, since this would usually have been dome-headed. Apart from these minor details, however, the watch seems to be quite unaltered; the dial is exceptionally well preserved and the hands look exactly right.

Oliver Mundy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: Lychnobius)

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the prompt, I should have put my two pennyworth in before now.

The crystal is indeed most likely to be a later replacement; they're really almost consumables if you take the long view, as are hands, especially in these older pieces. The cock screw is also a possible replacement, but as you say, these are minor details which aren't really significant compared with the rest of the watch, which is in very good condition after 262 years, especially the dial. The diamond endstone is occasionally seen as early as this on good quality work, (I've seen it on other watches from the 1750s), and it's clear that the cock table was made to accommodate it. Since the concept of jewelling was an innovation dating from the 1704 patent, it does seem to have taken quite a while to become widespread, probably due to the extra costs involved.

It's also a tribute to its quality that it's in regular daily use.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: gmorse)

That is a real beauty John. I love to see the ornate scrolls and columns of the 1700's fusee's. Thanks for showing!

Mike
    Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee... (By: gmorse)

Thanks for that feedback Graham (and you too Oliver),

I have to admit it - this has definitely become my favourite watch - full stop

The chap I got it from (who had recently done the service on it himself- he's a watchmaker in Texas) felt it was one of the best he had seen or worked on in years...

Yes - I know - people will often say anything to sell you something - but my feel as soon as I saw this watch was that I just had to have it.

(And I also felt the chap himself was very much genuine too...)

The Gridley (now gone) was nice but for me the Glover is in every way a superior watch - and to be honest I got it at half the price too - and that is not a bad thing either.

So what is the consensus on the diamond endstone do you think Graham? Original or a later addition?

Of course I am wanting to think its original and that my watch is special - but I am sure everyone is like that lol.

Regards,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi Oliver,

The crystal is indeed most likely to be a later replacement; they're really almost consumables if you take the long view, as are hands, especially in these older pieces. The cock screw is also a possible replacement, but as you say, these are minor details which aren't really significant compared with the rest of the watch, which is in very good condition after 262 years, especially the dial. The diamond endstone is occasionally seen as early as this on good quality work, (I've seen it on other watches from the 1750s), and it's clear that the cock table was made to accommodate it. Since the concept of jewelling was an innovation dating from the 1704 patent, it does seem to have taken quite a while to become widespread, probably due to the extra costs involved.

Regards,

Graham

Default Re: The new watch: My 1755 Boyer Glover Verge Fusee...

PS Something I just had to pick up on then Graham - something you said:

''it's a tribute to its quality that it's in regular daily use''...

Well - what can I say? I go everywhere on my bike wearing this watch - I just spent a weekend camping in the forest with my wife - and of course Mr Glover (the watch) came along with us - in reality it goes with me everywhere - and during the first 12 hours or so of the day it never fails to stay within plus one minute (or less) in terms of accuracy.

So - YES - a watch made 262 years ago - is performing at a standard PERFECTLY acceptable for me today in 2017. This is QUALITY indeed - craftsmanship that I think would be hard to find nowadays I think...

What can I say? This one watch now has me even MORE hooked on these beautiful old watches lol - they really are the most amazing things

John.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi Oliver,

Regards,

Graham
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mike

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie T View Post
    That is a real beauty John. I love to see the ornate scrolls and columns of the 1700's fusee's. Thanks for showing!

Mike

Blog Entries

Hi John,

...So what is the consensus on the diamond endstone do you think Graham? Original or a later addition?...
    Yes, it's original, there's no reason to suppose it's anything else.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke