Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mauthe Mystery

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: Tinker Dwight)

One more update. I discovered that the spring on the strike was actually cracked, which weakened it enough to eventually break. I had to make a new one, and it seems to be functioning well. Tomorrow it goes on the test stand, and we'll see. I'll use the pulley system it came with, although I still wonder about that being original.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: shutterbug)

I'm getting this thing finalized, and want your opinions on this. I don't think this SHOULD have pulleys, and although the time side runs quite well on half weight, the chime and strike seem to be struggling to function. This is the way I found this, but it looks wrong to me, and it's clear that the pulleys are too big for the weight hooks. What do you guys think? Maybe the weights were changed? I don't know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	344226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3659.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	344227  

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I'm getting this thing finalized, and want your opinions on this. I don't think this SHOULD have pulleys, and although the time side runs quite well on half weight, the chime and strike seem to be struggling to function. This is the way I found this, but it looks wrong to me, and it's clear that the pulleys are too big for the weight hooks. What do you guys think? Maybe the weights were changed? I don't know.
    The small hooks on the weights suggest strongly that they hook onto something smaller than those pulleys. I think even if it did need pulleys, they would be the wrong ones. However I agree, I'm not convinced there should pulleys at all. Near all the German weight driven longacse clocks, I've seen have not had pulleys, including higher end like Bauerle etc.

Think they are the original chains? Any hooks on their ends? how heavy are the weights?
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: shimmystep)

Since the clock is running, you should be able to measure the amount the weight drops in a day, and multiply that times 8. You should then be able tell whether there is enough room in its case to run for 8 days without the pulleys.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."- Plato (428 - 348 BC)

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: Randy Beckett)

I have never seen a German 3 train chain driven clock with pulleys like that. I cannot imagine it's factory-original.
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Registered user.

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: chimeclockfan)

I've seen these pulleys once before. They are chain
    pulleys. specifically for chains.
    I think the 8 day run method will tell you if it is needed
    or not.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: Randy Beckett)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Beckett View Post
    Since the clock is running, you should be able to measure the amount the weight drops in a day, and multiply that times 8. You should then be able tell whether there is enough room in its case to run for 8 days without the pulleys.
    That's a good point, Randy. I'll try that and see

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery

I have measured the weights, and am more perplexed. The left is marked "L" and weighs 6 lbs. That's the chime. The right is marked "R" and weighs 8 lbs (the strike). The center is not marked and weighs a wopping 10.5 lbs. WAY more than needed for the time train. The clock is running quite well, and the weights all seem quite adequate. I'm tempted to use the pulley on the center weight. It would be fine at 5 lbs. Opinions? Oh, BTW the weights are dropping at about the right rate for 8 days.

Registered user.

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: shutterbug)

Being unmarked might be an indications that someone in the past
    replaced it.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: Tinker Dwight)

If you leave the pulley on the middle and switch the Chime and Strike weights, does the strike still work well?
    It's odd to have the lighter weight on the Chime.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Mauthe Mystery (By: MartinM)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    If you leave the pulley on the middle and switch the Chime and Strike weights, does the strike still work well?
    It's odd to have the lighter weight on the Chime.
    Yeah, I thought about that too. It's odd that they are marked. I might try to reduce the center weight, and forget the pulleys. I'm going to have to take it apart one more time - found an issue with the click on the chime side.