Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: JUF 400 Day sweet clock Runs and Stops - Tried putting clock in beat and more... (By: MartinM)

Thank you all once again for your wise advice. I really believe I had dumb luck getting this clock to even run. Misunderstanding about the fork and opening it up. I could have broken the poor thing and thankfully I did not, so I am grateful for my misunderstood advice. I am not sure still about the beat, but I will try this if the clock is still running fast when I wake up tomorrow. I let it run for about 3 hours today and it only gained 3 minutes, which is HUGE and now will see what happens by tomorrow morning after adjust it a bit more in the S direction.

I am absolutely in love with the clock and all her natural patina and color. I don't want to ruin (IMO) her appearance by shining her up. I will look at having her cleaned just so her gears run smoothly. As far as whether or not I have a micrometer... A what? No, I do not have a micrometer or any other tools which would require the delicacy the clock needs. I would also not feel comfortable changing the suspension wire, though I probably could, I am fairly patient.

I am just happy right now and really grateful to all of you. I sat over the weekend too intimated to write. I waited foolishly and you all were so helpful. You really all saved me and saved this beautiful clock.

NOW onto my next clock purchase... Not sure about another Anniversary clock, this one put me over the edge (laughing).

Julie

Default Re: JUF 400 Day sweet clock Runs and Stops - Tried putting clock in beat and more... (By: SheisDesign)

As for winding the clock. Try winding it twice a year rather than once as this will keep the mainspring in optimum tension. A drop of oil on each pallet face may also improve the running and timekeeping.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 05-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Default Re: JUF 400 Day sweet clock Runs and Stops - Tried putting clock in beat and more... (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    As for winding the clock. Try winding it twice a year rather than once as this will keep the mainspring in optimum tension. A drop of oil on each pallet face may also improve the running and timekeeping.
    Thank you rough* - I really appreciate your advice and all of the advice I have been given. I woke up this morning and my beautiful clock is keeping PERFECT time. I am just in awe of all of your kindness.

I have made a modest donation to the NAWCC website (here) in gratitude for the help I have received. You have made this wedding anniversary a perfect one for us. Keep doing the great work you are doing.

Julie

Default Re: JUF 400 Day sweet clock Runs and Stops - Tried putting clock in beat and more... (By: SheisDesign)

You have the bug now, Julie. We're looking forward to seeing your next project!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: JUF 400 Day sweet clock Runs and Stops - Tried putting clock in beat and more... (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    You have the bug now, Julie. We're looking forward to seeing your next project!
    I'm a little obsessed right now. I work from home and find myself distracted from work checking the clock every 5 minutes to be sure it's perfect. A little neurotic. Woke up this morning and she is keeping perfect time to the minute. I am thrilled.

Next?