Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Oops, that should have been 50 cm, not 50 inches!! Yeah that would have been a mighty big clock

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: ClipClock)

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClock View Post
    Oops, that should have been 50 cm, not 50 inches!! Yeah that would have been a mighty big clock
    I did wonder!

50 cm seems pretty standard, my ebonised bracket is the same. They do take up quite a lot of space don't they? My little 1950s bungalow seems quite unsuited but I've never let that stop me!
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: ClipClock)

Brilliant I look forward to seeing it.

Wow 50" would have been big! The biggest Bracket Clock I have is 70cm tall which is huge!

I would completely agree about those side handles. Although they only serve as a decorative purpose much of the time they just don't seem to have any patina to them. They are slightly crude too. I'd suggest you take a look at Optimum Brasses website. They do wax casts of originals. They are quite reasonable and I have used them for furniture. You'll find something very suitable I'm sure.

Again I don't think the hands are correct. They do look really good however and seem to suite the clock. I'd suggest they've been there a little while too.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: LiamJ)

Isn't this just the most beautiful thing, shame to shut it away in a clock case. But there is a big window in the door so I guess it'll be seen sometimes I make no apology for polishing it up, this movement was made to be seen and anyway I like them shiny! And its no good the eventual owner of this clock expecting it to mute/tarnish with age cos I lacquered it (Ha!)

It had a few problems aside from the broken gut (I replaced both sides with new). It had been WD40'd and was really glued up, took a lot of effort to get it off. It had a broken pin that rotates the snail and so I replaced that. Also one of the stops on one of the fusee's was bent out of shape and didnt stop you winding it so that's been sorted too. I tried to minimise that ugly bushing on the back plate and think it looks a little better now

With the case, on the other hand. I'm adopting a light touch

Now to give it a test run, hope I found all its little problems!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusee Smaller.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	344051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusee Smaller 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	344052  

you have done a grand job. Bracket clocks are meant to be shiny.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    you have done a grand job. Bracket clocks are meant to be shiny.
    Thank you I'm happy to say the stop worked well this time when I wound it up and its ticking away with enthusiasm. Just need to check it strikes correctly and runs right to the end of the fusee gut now. The case is still a work in progress, waiting for the new glass to come back fitted to the bezel. And the new key to come. Needs a good waxing too

I notice that this movement is missing one of its restraining/holding straps and really think I need make a new one, it seems a little unsafe to only have two straps, when it was designed to have three. Only trouble is the straps are engraved so my new one wont look so good. It would be nice to get it engraved like the others but I've no idea where I could get it done. Although I've done some chasing and repousse in Silversmithing I havent ever tried engraving. Any ideas, it isnt a big amount of engraving that would need to be done?

That movement looks perfect!
    Have you thought of hiring the services of a professional engraver? If nobody more qualified is available, there are always those people engraving names in sports trophies and the like...
    If I recall well, the pendulum bob was also engraved matching the back plate. Certainly a plain strap would look odd (Nothing impossible to live with, though)

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

I don't know, I'm having a new apron made for mine and decided against engraving.

I'm sure all the bracket clocks I look at only have two straps.

Thank you Aitor, it was a lovely movement to work on yes maybe I need to look for a professional engraver if I decide I cant live with a plain strap.

Nick it looks to me like there were originally three, there are the threaded holes and impressions left on the plates. If you look at the pic of the backplate you'll see where the two existing ones go either side of the fusee arbors, then if you look up and to the left hand side you'll see where I think the 3rd went.

Edited to say, Aitor I polished and lacquered the pendulum too, it needed to match!