Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date?

I picked up this double fusee at an auction and it finally arrived yesterday. I've googled and googled and just cannot find anything about the maker who is engraved on both the dial and backplate. Mathewes? Mathenes? Can anyone help? Also a rough estimate of its age would be great!

Sorry I cant show you a picture of it all together, when I took the bubble wrap off the movement and dial fell out (I caught it!). The seat board had collapsed and the two retaining straps had given up.....

Heres a few pics!

Thank you!

PS. The other clock I bought at the same time remains impenetrable at the moment, its door and bezel are locked and theres no key. I'm presently practising my lock picking skills
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170504_101219-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	342494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170504_101056-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	342493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170504_101119-1_resized_2.jpg 
Views:	1697 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	342492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170504_101144-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	342495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090633_7843.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	342496  

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: ClipClock)

Nice catch?

I think broadly regency, the hands suggest earlier but I don't think so. I would have thought somewhere around 1820s.The dial seems to suggest Mathewes, unusual name.

MartyR may find him in his trade directory listing, may just have retailed it.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: ClipClock)

Well, it is definitely Mathewes (that 'w' is the same style that catches people out on Hawina clocks, and I am old enough to have been taught to write like that!) but, like you, I cannot immediately find anything about him.

But it's a very nice clock - congratulations.

JTD

Thanks! Well at least that clears up the name and approx date. I'm very pleased with it, it needs some work, not least a seatboard and back door, but for what I paid I'm very happy

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the maker (or retailer)

Finally got into the other clock (my lock picking skills have improved lol) which is really a gorgeous thing. Its got a broken fusee cable on the strike side, but I could see that in the auctioneers pictures so no surprise. That one has a gong which I'm assuming would make it a bit later? (Also a double fusee)

gongs were invented surprisingly early but their use in English clocks is generally later. Your first one has the knopped pillars and the engraved backplate, which are both signs of age, presumably you later one has neither of those.

Gongs seem to have taken off mid Victorian.

Actually the other one has a similarly engraved back plate and knobbed pillars. The 'middle knobs' are bigger than the end knobs on that one. No name on the back plate or dial though which is a shame. Do they ever sign them on the front plate?

I think T&R put the number there. Sounds like it will still be mid 19th century so another good one. If you find a number for T&R it can be dated fairly accurately.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Sadly nothing on the front plate, no name or numbers That one will forever remain a mystery!

especially mysterious as we didn't get a picture Sally.

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Ha ha, sorry. No pics of the case because its presently in a clamp getting a piece of brass inlay reattached! Also the bezel is off as I need to get some glass put in. Its a beautiful flame mahogany lancet case with brass inlay

Heres the movement though! It doesnt look like the broken gut has done any damage from what I can see (which isnt much lol)

Horrid bushing on the strike fusee arbor will have to go. And its a shame about the chisel (?) marks, but I'll do my best minimise them

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090639_7848.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	342515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090640_7849.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	342516  

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date?

Jacob Mat(t)hews from Bristol, active 1842-49, listed by Loomes may match.

http://www.clockswatches.com/showindex.php?em=M

https://books.google.pl/books?id=2TZ...0clock&f=false
    Last edited by tarant; 05-04-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Regards
    Piotr

Default Re: Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date? (By: tarant)

Thank you Tarant, that sounds possible!

Both lovely movements you have got there. I particularly like the engraved ones, such a beautiful feature to a fusee movement.

The case of your first clock by Mathews of Bristol looks like a 'Lancet Case' to me. Slightly more unusual from others I have seen which don't tend to step out at the bottom of the arch.

How big is the dial? The hands look like they should belong on a Longcase clock. Again if they are the originals it is a style I have not commonly come across on these.

I'd love to see a picture of your other fusee once it's out its clamp!!

Thanks Liam, yes I'll post a pic of the other one, but it may be a little while, I mailed the bezel off today to get some glass made for it. Its much more the lancet style you'd expect, flat front, continuous smooth sloping sides etc. Its a big clock, its 50 inches tall.

The Mathews has an 8 inch dial. I'm not sure about the hands, its hard to say, but I agree that are a bit unusual. But I think they look quite nice and they seem to fit perfectly so I think I'll leave them.

I'm 99.9% sure the ring handles on the case are replacements, they feel very light and flimsy, I doubt they are even brass. I'll have to look for more appropriate replacements for them.

Those hands were used on silvered dial clocks and brass dialled bracket clocks. I would expect to see them on very early painted dial bracket clocks because they were used on very early painted dial longcase.

However I doubt they were in use by the time your clock was made.

50" ? That's a huge clock. 500mm is pretty normal for 18th century clocks it doesn't make them that easy to live with in modern homes.

I'm hoping to find something small to replace a carriage clock but small ones command high prices.