Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 196
  1. #1
    Registered user. Adam Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Posts
    2,324
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:
    http://highercailber.com/

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Adam Harris)

    Interesting post and article. I'm sure that you had an idea that bringing the watches over might be a minor risk, but not what you encountered. Ouch!

    The peacock feather part of your story is interesting to me as well. I used to own a few hawk feathers that I had gathered over the years of hiking in the hills near my house. If I saw one on the ground, I picked it up. I mean, why let it go to waste? A few years ago I told a friend about my feathers. He's an outdoor sports writer and he knew that it was now illegal to own raptor feathers like mine. He told me that the fine was in the neighborhood of $10,000 per feather. Despite the fact that I had come to them in a harmless way, and that they were behind my closed doors, I decided that the $30-40K fine possibility wasn't worth it. I threw them away. They now reside under a pile at the city dump rather than adorning a hat, or? Oh well...sometimes there's a problem with things that are genuine.

    Sorry about your fine, etc. I hope you get your watches back for your class. Would a call to your state department for advance permission helped at all? Just curious. Or maybe if you removed the bogus names in an obvious fashion, they would no longer be true counterfeits that Customs could seize? I'm just doing what at least I call "thinking", out loud. You've probably considered these things, and others. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Registered user. Adam Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Posts
    2,324
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    Interesting post and article. I'm sure that you had an idea that bringing the watches over might be a minor risk, but not what you encountered. Ouch!

    The peacock feather part of your story is interesting to me as well. I used to own a few hawk feathers that I had gathered over the years of hiking in the hills near my house. If I saw one on the ground, I picked it up. I mean, why let it go to waste? A few years ago I told a friend about my feathers. He's an outdoor sports writer and he knew that it was now illegal to own raptor feathers like mine. He told me that the fine was in the neighborhood of $10,000 per feather. Despite the fact that I had come to them in a harmless way, and that they were behind my closed doors, I decided that the $30-40K fine possibility wasn't worth it. I threw them away. They now reside under a pile at the city dump rather than adorning a hat, or? Oh well...sometimes there's a problem with things that are genuine.

    Sorry about your fine, etc. I hope you get your watches back for your class. Would a call to your state department for advance permission helped at all? Just curious. Or maybe if you removed the bogus names in an obvious fashion, they would no longer be true counterfeits that Customs could seize? I'm just doing what at least I call "thinking", out loud. You've probably considered these things, and others. Good luck.
    Very interesting story of yours - thanks for sharing.

    I have carried these "counterfeit" watches multiples times, all over the world, and I have been stopped and checked. In the past because they were used for "educational" purposes and not resell, it was accepted.
    This time, sadly I met a custom officer, that decided it was unacceptable (as under the law that is correct)
    No chance to get them back.
    I live and learn, and will in future leave them here in USA.
    You would have to remove every name on the timepiece including dial, movement and bracelet!

    I lick my wounds and move on - thankfully I did get back my genuine Rolex's!!!!

    Thanks Again
    adam
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:
    http://highercailber.com/

  4. #4
    Registered User richiec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Posts
    5,351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Adam Harris)

    Some people have no sense of humor or common sense. There are more important things to confiscate these days.

  5. #5
    Registered user. Adam Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Posts
    2,324
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    Some people have no sense of humor or common sense. There are more important things to confiscate these days.
    LOL - yes agreed.

    but it was this guys first day on border control, his last 40+ years was in Immigration - he shouted to his boss, he had caught me!!

    It was a NIGHTMARE! - a costly one at that LOL
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:
    http://highercailber.com/

  6. #6
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Adam Harris)

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Harris View Post
    LOL - yes agreed.

    but it was this guys first day on border control, his last 40+ years was in Immigration - he shouted to his boss, he had caught me!!

    It was a NIGHTMARE! - a costly one at that LOL
    I am interested to learn, were you actually declaring them as counterfeit or did they inspect them and class them this way?

  7. #7
    Registered user. Adam Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Posts
    2,324
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    I am interested to learn, were you actually declaring them as counterfeit or did they inspect them and class them this way?
    They could not tell if they were counterfeit, indeed they insisted one of the Rolex's was genuine because, NO faker could make the REHAUT!

    I declared them as fakes, after they searched my luggage, I had NOT mentioned them on my declaration.

    Best
    Adam
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill
    Visit here:
    http://highercailber.com/

  8. #8
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Adam Harris)

    Thanks. Yes, there are those counterfeiters who may spend as much as $20,000 on faking a Rolex and then churn outy a hundred thousand of them.

    I see a wide range of fake Rolexes and most are easily distinguishable but others do have almost everything about the case and band so well done that I may choose to open the watch and see what they have put inside it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    Thanks. Yes, there are those counterfeiters who may spend as much as $20,000 on faking a Rolex and then churn outy a hundred thousand of them.

    I see a wide range of fake Rolexes and most are easily distinguishable but others do have almost everything about the case and band so well done that I may choose to open the watch and see what they have put inside it.
    I just don't understand it myself. I mean, anyone that has the skill and resources to do that should be able to make good money honestly.

  10. #10
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Accutronica)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    I just don't understand it myself. I mean, anyone that has the skill and resources to do that should be able to make good money honestly.
    Some people, in fact quite a lot of people never know real honesty.

  11. #11
    Registered User musicguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: roughbarked)

    There is a part of Manhattan(I've walked through many times) that all sorts of counterfeit watches
    and other merchandise is sold. People buy them fully knowing that
    they are not real. They buy the "knock off" woman's purses, and clothing as well.
    They wear, and use them, and feel like they are getting the style of
    the "Brand Name" without the price. I never heard anyone say
    that the watches didn't keep accurate time, mostly people
    would say, look at the second hand and you will know it's a fake.
    With demand comes supply. I've never owned one, and
    would never promote the use of them.



    Rob

  12. #12
    Registered User richiec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Posts
    5,351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: musicguy)

    I had a repair shop I went into in the Bronx for years where the owner's son touted his counterfeit Rolex and told me he could get me one for under $250, I mean it really looked good but why would I want a fake in the first place. I also go to an antique store where the owner's son dabbles in repro Rolex dials, counterfeit movements, luckily doesn't pass them off as genuine. You can buy that type of accuracy for $9.99 at Kohl's or Walmart.

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches

    Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    I had a repair shop I went into in the Bronx for years where the owner's son touted his counterfeit Rolex and told me he could get me one for under $250, I mean it really looked good but why would I want a fake in the first place. I also go to an antique store where the owner's son dabbles in repro Rolex dials, counterfeit movements, luckily doesn't pass them off as genuine. You can buy that type of accuracy for $9.99 at Kohl's or Walmart.
    I think they should be arrested and their business shut down!

  14. #14
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: Accutronica)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    I think they should be arrested and their business shut down!
    It is a free world and entrepreneurs can make money. I had a fake Rolex with an unrerpairable type of quartz movement, the case filled with plastic, come in to replace the crystal. I can replace the crystal but not before I told her that the watch was rubbish. She told me that an Indian friend had given it to her and that she wanted to respect the gift. She knew it wasn't a Rolex. I said well the movement is not going to go. I can replace the movement with one that has the exact dial feet holes and virtually exactly the same date mechanism. ie: I can replace the movement but I need a date ring that shows at 4. I only have one that shows at 6. I tried to steal your date ring but it has a step on the underside otherwise it would fit. So I have to order a new Miyota movement. The main difference will be that this new movement will be serviceable.

    The odd thing is that the customer is wealthy enough to own real Rolexes. As many as she wants.

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Hidden Perils of Counterfeit Watches (By: roughbarked)

    Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    It is a free world and entrepreneurs can make money. I had a fake Rolex with an unrerpairable type of quartz movement, the case filled with plastic, come in to replace the crystal. I can replace the crystal but not before I told her that the watch was rubbish. She told me that an Indian friend had given it to her and that she wanted to respect the gift. She knew it wasn't a Rolex. I said well the movement is not going to go. I can replace the movement with one that has the exact dial feet holes and virtually exactly the same date mechanism. ie: I can replace the movement but I need a date ring that shows at 4. I only have one that shows at 6. I tried to steal your date ring but it has a step on the underside otherwise it would fit. So I have to order a new Miyota movement. The main difference will be that this new movement will be serviceable.

    The odd thing is that the customer is wealthy enough to own real Rolexes. As many as she wants.
    I wonder if she is the lady that sued Winnebago because the owners manual didn't specify that "cruise control" does not mean "auto pilot"?
    You realize that you just admitted to being part of the problem, right?

Similar Threads

  1. Repair the plated surface of 1920s watches
    By Alexander_ in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
  2. The vast number of american watch manufacturing companies
    By FredWJensen in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
  3. whats the probable age of this watch?
    By Alexander_ in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 12:51 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 12:32 AM
  5. What is the general opinion of these watches ?
    By Janning197@aol.com in forum Wrist Watches
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •