Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Security Issue Warning

For the last week or two, whenever I log on to the message board, my Kaspersky anti-virus program posts a warning. See the screen shot below. Is this a problem at the message board end or at my end, and how can it be cured?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Security Issue Warning (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Ethan, that warning says that Adelphia.net has an invalid certificate, not this site. Since you were looking at our top page, I need more information to have any idea what is going on. Did you have another web page open when you browsed to here? Those notices pop to the top whenever they are generated.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

NAWCC Communications Director

Default Re: Security Issue Warning (By: Ethan Lipsig)

Adelphia.net mostly no longer exists; the company that managed it went bankrupt in the early 2000's and was carved up by Comcast and Time Warner.

There were a lot of mail addresses and personal home pages assigned to those servers. Some may still exist. Some are being spoofed and used to send spam; that's why they often get flagged by anti-virus and anti-malware software.

There may be a photo linked from one of our posts to a personal account located at user.adelphia.net, that keeps setting off the flag.
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)

Default Re: Security Issue Warning (By: Markus Harris)

Tom, I had nothing on my browser except the NAWCC website when I got the Kaspersky warning this morning. I had nothing on my browser except the NAWCC website when I got the Kaspersky warning just now. Is there anyway to stop this message from coming everytime I come to the NAWCC website?

If it helps, here is a screenshot of the details that Kaspersky gives as to the blockage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Details.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Security Issue Warning

I don't really know what to do about it. It is a result of someone posting a reference to an external site, most likely for an image. That ancient reference now goes to a bad place and Kaspersky is spotting it for you. I am not sure how it got in your context here, but you should be able to clear you cookies and log off. When you log back in again it should be gone.

On the new site we are working on that particular threat will cease to exist because we will not allow external image references. Normal page links need to be clicked on to cause a connection, but image links can try to load automatically when the page loads so they are more dangerous.

I can do a backend search of the database for adelphia to see what might be causing it but your best bet is a fresh connection.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    There are 27 posts with references to ".xdelphia." 21 of those are from accounts that have been deleted during one of the purges by our former admins (we no longer do purges). I can probably just change all of those to xdelphia with no harm. One needs to be careful since there are lots of references to philadelphia. Putting a period on either side of adelphia works to isolate the bad stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Trusting Markus' analysis, I changed the 31 entries in the live database. If there is a problem with that, they can be changed back since the change value is also unique.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 05-02-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Security Issue Warning (By: Tom McIntyre)

ethan -

a couple of things to try...

first, can you please make sure you're going to http://mb.nawcc.org and NOT https://mb.nawcc.org? i don't see why you'd get an ssl error of any kind if you're not going to a secure/encrypted site using an ssl certificate.

next, i would try going to your browser settings (it's chrome on a pc, yes?) and clicking for 'advanced settings' and then 'content settings' and then 'all cookies and site data'. from there, you can search for and delete JUST nawcc.org cookies and cached files. quit and restart your browser and see if that makes a difference.

i would also try going to your kapersky software or browser plugin and searching for nawcc and/or adelphia and see what you come up with. there might also be a way to specifically whitelist mb.nawcc.org. you can also choose to 'view certificate' and then 'always trust'... which i would probably do because i'm on a mac and there's (so far) much less risk of a virus... your call.

lastly, please let us know if tom's or my suggestions work for you. he's the man, i'm just a member trying to help.

smike
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...