Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch

Hello folk's, new member here with a request for help. I am assisting in a joint UK Canada and Germany investigation of a WW2 Crash site and this watch was found amongst the wreckage site. We are trying to ID what type of watch it would be. We have been able to find out the maker as being the ID watch Case CO out of New York but we would be interested if anyone can shed light onto the type of watch this is??
    Thanks in advance,
    Avro683
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10858638_327196390824753_3521835032404488748_n.jpg   1557607_323142204563505_7504089016949443054_n (3).jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Avro683)

It was a nice watch one time, with a sterling silver case.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Kevin W.)

Thanks Kevin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch

Hi Avro683, and welcome,

It was certainly a pocket watch, judging by the size.

Are you sure that the two fragments in your second picture are part of the same watch? The left hand part has the remains of the dial attached to the main plate, which looks more or less flat and circular, whereas the right hand part also appears to be the inside surface of a main plate but very severely distorted. A watch like this would not have had a top plate of such thickness, which makes me wonder if these are the remains of two watches. From the position of some of the holes in the right hand fragment, I'd guess that this was not a full-plate movement, (with two plates extending over the whole watch), but possibly a "bar" type.

Neither seem to have any steel parts left, and the dial fragment doesn't look like an enamelled one, but possibly melamine or a similar material.

Incidentally, the case maker would not necessarily have made the movement.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: gmorse)

Interesting .. thanks Graham

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch

FWIW, here is an earlier thread discussing the Id Watch Case Company. There may be others. And this link has a bit on info. relevant to the trademark itself. This won't tell you much about the watch itself, however.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks Steven, that thread topic is what brought me to this forum after a google search

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Avro683)

There are some clues-

The minute wheel is huge compared to most. And the arrangement of the jewel holes may be a key. Also a back view of the front plate may help.

And that went in hard- there are imprints in the case of the winding & mainspring wheels, There is a center plate imprint-this was likely a 3 bridge movement. And there is even a faint outline of the balance cock & wheel. All from impact so it was quick.

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Whereisitat)

Was it in an explosion weird things happen it items in a powerful explosion and the resulting heat and fire or possibility of a aircraft impact/fire would be interesting to know.

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Firegriff)

Sorry, I did not have enough coffee yet and was looking at the pictures more than the text so I answered my own question.

Default Re: Can anyone help ID this watch we think it might be a pocket watch (By: Whereisitat)

Quote Originally Posted by Whereisitat View Post
    There are some clues-

The minute wheel is huge compared to most. And the arrangement of the jewel holes may be a key. Also a back view of the front plate may help.

And that went in hard- there are imprints in the case of the winding & mainspring wheels, There is a center plate imprint-this was likely a 3 bridge movement. And there is even a faint outline of the balance cock & wheel. All from impact so it was quick.
    Not sure about it being two seperate watches.. the chap that found it said they are from the same one

Blog Entries

Hi Avro683,

...Not sure about it being two seperate watches.. the chap that found it said they are from the same one...
    Are you able to post a picture of the other sides of those two fragments, please?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Missed it-I thought it was a front / back piece from the same watch or movement. Second pic showing 2 objects-your saying it is the same piece displayed front / back in the same photo?.

And I also should have said hour wheel is very large compared to others I have seen-but I'm new(ish).

It was a 3 bridge movement & the shape of the center plate is clearly imprinted on the watch case back (silver) in the 1st photo.

So-

A 3 bridge movement-with a relatively large hour wheel-does that narrow it down?

Hello Graham, the pieces are in storage and unaccessible for further photos sadly.

To bad it would be a fun hunt to ID this watch.