Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Antique silver calendar pocket watch, Help with identification (By: gmorse)

Hello

I think that different countries and different case makers have/ had their own silver marks.

Is it possible to identify the origin of a case eg country and case maker by this 875 silver mark, as it has a rather specific look about it?

Please find image below.

Regards Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	875 mark.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	343696  

Default Re: Antique silver calendar pocket watch, Help with identification (By: gshep)

I've never seen that specific banner design, but the mark is western European as determined by the use of a comma rather than a period for the decimal point. I have seen 87.5% marking on Swiss and French cases before, although this is reltively unusual - the more common Swiss purities are .800 and .935.

If I had to guess, I would go for French, German or Swiss in that order of likelihood ... perhaps the unusual style of the "7" would be a further clue?
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Antique silver calendar pocket watch, Help with identification (By: MartyR)

Hi Martin

Were Henri Jacot -Burmann the inventors and patent holders to the calendar section of my watch, or just the patent holders?

I also had a look today at European hallmarks and I am looking at France - Paris as possible makers of case.

Thank you for your input, it was helpful.

Regards Gary

Default Re: Antique silver calendar pocket watch, Help with identification

Hello

When I first looked at the movement, it appeared that the bridge had been cut and joined

But after taking a side on photo of the bridge, it has been machined and cut away, then gilded (not a bad job).

Also can someone tell me from the photo how many jewels this movement has as it is not marked.

photo of bridge below.

Regards Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170618_112351.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	347272  
    Last edited by MartyR; 06-22-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Removed full-size image

Blog Entries

Default Re: Antique silver calendar pocket watch, Help with identification (By: gshep)

Hi Gary,

...Also can someone tell me from the photo how many jewels this movement has as it is not marked....
    If all the jewels visible on the top plate are matched in the pillar plate, (which isn't necessarily the case), then this has 15 jewels; 5 for the balance, 2 for the pallets, then two each for the lever, escape, 4th, and 3rd wheel pivots.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke