Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anker clock question for repair

I have been asked to service this "Anker" clock. It is in great shape, but the time click spring has become dislodged or has broken. The chime hammers are also not working perfectly, but I think that is a simple case of improper alignment.

The only marks on the case are those shown on the inside of the door and a "31" stamped into the wood on the bottom board. In the lower right on the back plate it simple says Made in Germany.

The owner is not familiar with the clock, having recently purchased it. From what I have read, it is from Germany and from the 1950s - 1960s - and the word "Anker" was used by many clock makers and has something to do with the clock having a platform escapement?

My repair question has to do with the plastic covered platform escapement. What is the proper way to clean and lubricate these? The clock is quite dirty inside and has not run for at least two years according to the owner, but perhaps even longer. There is a lot of dust inside the platform and with the broken click I have not actually run the movement at all yet.

Is there a source for new platforms if this one is damaged? I can get pictures of the front of the movement if they are necessary to positively id the maker.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3063.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	341861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3064.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	341862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3066.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	341863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3067.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	341864  
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair (By: THTanner)

If the platform is still good, these clocks are good candidates for repair. If the platform is bad, replacements are not available, you may be able to get it repaired or find a new one that will work but this can be very expensive, especially when you consider that the movement will need work too.
    My advice would be to let the springs completly down and remove the platform (they are very delicate) and clean away any dirt in the time train pivots and gear teeth. Fix the click, oil the pivots and check that the time train will run well with about 1/4 turn on the spring. When power is completely down, carefully replace the platform. Check the mesh between the top movement wheel and the platform. This mesh is a very important and it's a good idea to mark the platform's position, or check for previous marks of the platform, before you remove it. You never know for sure if it was in the correct position to start with ... and even so it may be different now due to wear.
    Put a couple of turns on the mainspring and the platform should come to life.
    If not, your back to square one. You can experiment with slight changes in the platform's position. Always do this with the clock springs let down completely. You can apply a little finger pressure on the second wheel to power the escapement.
    Note, NEVER LOOSEN THE PLATFORM SCREWS WITH A WOUND UP SPRING.
    Good luck,
    Willie X
    Last edited by Willie X; 04-28-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair (By: Willie X)

Thanks Willie - I take it you do not try to open the platform to clean or lubricate it? The gap for the adjustment arm that comes out the bottom seems to be the likely source of the dirt and dust inside. Perhaps just a gentle hand air puffer and see how it runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    If the platform is still good, these clocks are good candidates for repair. If the platform is bad, replacements are not available, you may be able to get it repaired or find a new one that will work but this can be very expensive, especially when you consider that the movement will need work too.
    My advice would be to let the springs completly down and remove the platform (they are very delicate) and clean away any dirt in the time train pivots and gear teeth. Fix the click, oil the pivots and check that the time train will run well with about 1/4 turn on the spring. When power is completely down, carefully replace the platform. Check the mesh between the top movement wheel and the platform. This mesh is a very important and it's a good idea to mark the platform's position, or check for previous marks of the platform, before you remove it. You never know for sure if it was in the correct position to start with ... and even so it may be different now due to wear.
    Put a couple of turns on the mainspring and the platform should come to life.
    If not, your back to square one. You can experiment with slight changes in the platform's position. Always do this with the clock springs let down completely. You can apply a little finger pressure on the second wheel to power the escapement.
    Note, NEVER LOOSEN THE PLATFORM SCREWS WITH A WOUND UP SPRING.
    Good luck,
    Willie X

I have moved this to the Clock Repair forum to see if additional responses might be forthcoming.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Well, you could start working on the platform first but IME the platform is either good or it's broken. This platform will have a pinion and pivot suport that protrudes through the plate to engage the topmost wheel in the time train. This pinion and pivot will often be dirty but you have to be VERY careful pegging this tiny pinion. Check to see if the staff is broken. If the staff is not broken and the pinion is clean and free, don't do anything furthur to the platform. Also, ultrasonic cleaning is a BIG no no for your platform.
    Willie X

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair (By: Willie X)

Okay - I knew ultrasonic was no no, and virtually no oil is allowed. A half turn of the key and the balance took right off so I think it is good to go. Given how delicate that platform setting is, would it seem reasonable to separate the plates carefully without removing the platform from the back plate? I do have to get the spring barrels out to clean and lube and especially to inspect the time barrel where the click let loose. It does not look bulged, thankfully, but I need to pull the spring and see what sort of damage might be lurking in the ends.

Careful hand cleaning of the back plate with the platform still attached seems possible and I would just as soon not play the game of taking the platform off and hoping to get it back on exactly the same. There are no score marks that I can see on the plate that would indicate it has ever been removed, so I suspect it is still as assembled at the factory.

Well, you could start working on the platform first but IME the platform is either good or it's broken. This platform will have a pinion and pivot suport that protrudes through the plate to engage the topmost wheel in the time train. This pinion and pivot will often be dirty but you have to be VERY careful pegging this tiny pinion. Check to see if the staff is broken. If the staff is not broken and the pinion is clean and free, don't do anything furthur to the platform. Also, ultrasonic cleaning is a BIG no no for your platform.
    Willie X

Nope, bad idea 😲, take the platform off and put it in a safe place as a first step. Put it back in place as the last step in assembly.
    Willie X

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair

Okay - thanks - sounds like time to get to it.

Nope, bad idea ������, take the platform off and put it in a safe place as a first step. Put it back in place as the last step in assembly.
    Willie X

In my humble opinion , platform escapements should always be dis-assembled, cleaned, and cap jewels removed and oiled. Platform escapements are no different than a pocket watch and they are ALWAYS dis- assembled and cleaned and oiled. I usually clean the hairspring in "One Dip" although I have put them in the US with no ill effects. Just my opinion.

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair (By: dickstorer)

I have done a few open balance wheel assemblies like that using One Dip and have never had any issues. My worry here is the stories I have read about these particular ones and the fact that they are no longer available. I guess I took the suggestion that if it works don't mess with it a little too far This one was exceptionally dusty but blew out pretty well with the puffer. I do worry about residual dust in the pivots and caps, so I may get a bit bolder once I get the rest of the movement sorted out. I don't work on watches so I don't have much experience with them in that area and the platforms I have worked in the past on clocks were the kind you simply replace for a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by dickstorer View Post
    In my humble opinion , platform escapements should always be dis-assembled, cleaned, and cap jewels removed and oiled. Platform escapements are no different than a pocket watch and they are ALWAYS dis- assembled and cleaned and oiled. I usually clean the hairspring in "One Dip" although I have put them in the US with no ill effects. Just my opinion.

I used to do any watch that came to my shop but as I grew older the watches seemed to become smaller. Now, In my eighties I still will do pocket watches if they are of good quality, but mostly I just do clocks. Running a pocket watch, a clock or a car without good lubrication will ultimately lead to its early demise. Running a platform escapement without cleaning and oiling is not a real good idea. I guess that there are exceptions, one that comes to mind is the new platforms that use a plastic PF and A along with a plastic escape wheel, they are all one piece and not serviceable.

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair (By: dickstorer)

On these platform escapement, do you put any oil at all on the pin pallets or the fork or the EW, or do you simply lubricate the pivots?

THT, In addition to oiling the pivots, a tiny bit of oil on 3 or 4 of the escape wheel teeth is enough. The oil will spread. If you have cleaned the platform properly there will be no old oil anywhere. The escape wheel pivots and the pallet fork pivots can be oiled just like any pivot but the balance pivots are done a little differently because the usually have cap jewels on them. The balance bridge has to be removed so oil can be placed on the hole jewels, just a bit. I turn the bal bridge over and place a small weight on the bridge to hold it in place, then with some tweezers, gently lift the balance wheel up enough to gain access to the jewel and put a bit of oil on it, put it all back together and you have serviced the platform. A more complicated way is to remove the cap jewels, place a bit of oil on them and then put them back in place. I say complicated but it is not really. Cap jewels often have shock springs holding them in or if not shock springs they have very tiny screws and both are easily lost.

Default Re: Anker clock question for repair

Thanks - That is basically what I had planned. It is totally cleaned and ready for oiling. On this one there are two jewels. One has a single screw to remove it. The top one is a bit different. It appears that the jewel is held in place by a triangular shaped piece that you turn 60 degrees and the three legs align with slots to lift it out. It looks like there is no spring, but when you put it back in the amount you rotate it determines the depth and hence the end shake. Seems pretty tricky. There is just a very slight bit of play currently but I cannot figure any way to actually measure that play to reproduce it.

THT, In addition to oiling the pivots, a tiny bit of oil on 3 or 4 of the escape wheel teeth is enough. The oil will spread. If you have cleaned the platform properly there will be no old oil anywhere. The escape wheel pivots and the pallet fork pivots can be oiled just like any pivot but the balance pivots are done a little differently because the usually have cap jewels on them. The balance bridge has to be removed so oil can be placed on the hole jewels, just a bit. I turn the bal bridge over and place a small weight on the bridge to hold it in place, then with some tweezers, gently lift the balance wheel up enough to gain access to the jewel and put a bit of oil on it, put it all back together and you have serviced the platform. A more complicated way is to remove the cap jewels, place a bit of oil on them and then put them back in place. I say complicated but it is not really. Cap jewels often have shock springs holding them in or if not shock springs they have very tiny screws and both are easily lost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3203.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	604.0 KB 
ID:	344221  
    Last edited by THTanner; 05-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Tanner, I think you may be just a little bit wrong. That three legged thing you are talking about is the shock spring. The amount that you turn it to replace has nothing to do with end shake. Just turn it enough to keep it from coming out by itself. If you do not have the special tool needed to remove it, do not remove it. It is spring loaded and it will fly away easily. Best oil it by removing the bridge and oil as per my last post.