Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Revive Military Chapter of NAWCC (SMH)

Some years ago I bought this small book called Military Timepieces a special Exhibit at the National Watch and Clock Museum I bought it from the NAWCC web site. It was put together by the Society of Military Horologist NAWCC chapter 143 from that booklet they use to send out news letters and I would not mind being a out of state member and hit a meeting once or twice a year since they collect stuff right up my ally. Does that chapter still exist ? Think I ask this some years ago but don't remember the answer.
    Here is a link about the book think it's only in PDF file now good reading for members who never seen it. If this chapter gone to bad the way military watch collecting has picked up this chapter would grow BIG today.
    http://nawcc.org/index.php/nawccbook...ary-timepieces
    Last edited by River rat; 04-27-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any one know what happened to this chapter (By: River rat)

Dave Christiansen was the last Secretary of the chapter. They could not recruit anyone to be president.Captain Bricker who was a lot of the motive force behind it died. His collection was sold a few weeks ago. Konrad Knirim who was also involved has published quit a bit of material in the subject area.

I am sure if 25 people could be gotten together to start it up at one of the larger NAWCC Regional Meetings it could be revived.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Tom your right I asked the same question over at the MWR forum one of the Mod/administrators of the MWR forum use to belong to it and has every news letter they put out so was with it in the beginning I guess he also said after Captain Bricker passed away it just folded and some one tried to restart it here but don't see much going on there.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SMWC/info

I was a member of that chapter. It was based in New Orleans, I believe.

I would like to help to start up a chapter on military timepieces.

I have a complete Hamilton collection and various European military timepieces and some Chronometers.
    Jim Haney

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any one know what happened to this chapter (By: Jim Haney)

Jim, it was a special interest chapter, so it had no designated geographic location. They may have had one of their regular meetings at the Southern Regional. Dave C. lives in Rhode Island and Konrad lives in Germany. Many of the former SMH may no longer be NAWCC members. As I recall they met at the National Convention in Atlanta one year.

In any case, I would be interested in participating also.

Perhaps we can try to get the word out to those who may be interested, to let us know here on the message board in this thread.

btw I should have said "Commander" Bricker in my previous post.

A closely related collecting interest is military wristwatches which may have some overlap with those primarily interested in chronometers and military pocket watches.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Any one know what happened to this chapter (By: Tom McIntyre)

I also collect Hamilton Military Timepieces and would be interested in such a group or chapter.
    Member: NAWCC Chapter 58, 149

Default Re: Any one know what happened to this chapter

To me you would get more interest if it's on any kind of military timepieces from chronometers, ships clocks, message center clocks, deck watches, wristwatches, pocket watches tank clocks ,aircraft clocks any type of timepiece that was issued and from any country I sort of collect them all. There mite be some who concentrate on one variety of them but we are all interested in there history and military connection you mite get more members interested that way. I posted this link over at the MWR forum I know of few other military watch forums I can post this link to see if there is interest in brining chapter 143 back to life if you want me to.
    Last edited by River rat; 04-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I agree that many, if not most, have broad interest in military timekeeping and in navigations, operations control, etc.

My thought was that a thread in the wristwatch forum drawing attention to the idea of resurrecting SMH might be worthwhile.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Any one know what happened to this chapter (By: Tom McIntyre)

If this takes off, I'd also like to join that chapter...I have an extensive collection of mil-watches, from Chronometers, all the way down to bomb timers.
    We'll see how it goes