Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default How do I clean a painted and stenciled tall case clock?

Hello--I have a Rufus Cole decorated tall case clock that is dirty with the build up years worth of daily grime. Is there a product or recipe that can be used to safely clean a grain painted and stenciled tall case? Thank you for your help.
    Darcy Bertelmann
    NAWCC # 168186

Default Re: How do I clean a painted and stenciled tall case clock? (By: darcy)

Hi Darcy,

I would touch base with Karen & Lindy Larson, both NAWCC members. Karen restores Rufus Cole decorated clock cases and perhaps she can provide you with some information or point you in the right direction. Just Google Lindy Larson Clocks to get contact info.

Default Re: How do I clean a painted and stenciled tall case clock? (By: James Gardner)

Thank you for the lead, James. I will try to contact them. I am still interested in anyone else's suggestions in case this doesn't pan out.
    Darcy Bertelmann
    NAWCC # 168186

Default Re: How do I clean a painted and stenciled tall case clock? (By: darcy)

Darcy, can you provide a picture of the clock and possibly a closeup of the stenciling?
    I have been restoring antique furniture and clock cases since the early 80's and find that a lint free cloth moistened with mineral spirits will get the dust and grime off without harming paint or finish. Once done, and after wiping a few times and no more evidence of dirt is on your rag, I would recommend using briwax, you can purchase this in various colors or use the lightest shade they have.

Try the steps I'm suggesting in an inconspicuous area and I guarantee you'll be pleased with the results.

Default Re: How do I clean a painted and stenciled tall case clock? (By: BryanB)

Hi, Bryan-- Thank you for the suggestion about mineral spirits. I will try to post a picture of the clock tomorrow when the lighting is better. Sincerely, Darcy
    Darcy Bertelmann
    NAWCC # 168186