Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other.

My latest acquisition has an issue of the hands getting tangled into one another.
    This is an Ingraham 1878 patent Kitchen clock.
    The hands are nice and flat, it seems the hour hand and minute hand are creeping into one another's path.
    There is a pin hole to keep the minute hand on, but I have not noticed any way to keep it out away from the hour hand, which presses on firmly enough to stay in time.
    Should I be able to buy the right bushing to separate the hour and minute hand from a supply house, or do I need to turn one on a lathe?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Dave.

Default Re: Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other. (By: PWfanatik)

You don't say whether there is a pin in the hole which keeps the minute hand on. If not , put one in and that may hold the hand proud of the hour hand. If you think there is too much 'slop' you can put a little hand washer on top of the hand to take up the slack before you put the pin in.

If you have the pin in place and the trouble persists, you can just bend the minute hand a little so that it misses the hour hand.

But a photo would make it easier to see the exact problem.

JTD

Default Re: Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other. (By: JTD)

JTD, thanks for the reply,
    I think I have seen minute hands that have a tab with a hole in it that allows one to pass the pin through it, and pin the hand to the pinion.
    There is a lot of slop in the hand square broach that allows the minute hand to creep back into the hour hand...
    I do have a supply of pins to work with, and tried to see if I could pass the pin in front of the hand on one side of the hole, and see if it would angle out behind the hand on the side where it passes out of the hole... Thus pinning the hand in place.
    Dave.

Do you have a hand washer between the hand and the pin?
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other. (By: lpbp)

Thank you Larry,
    No hand washer here,
    So when I put all of this together is this the order?
    Press on the hour hand.
    Place a hand washer or bushing on.
    Place the minute hand.
    Place the pin in the hole? (is there a hand washer needed under the pin too?)

Dave.

If there's room for one, yes.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other. (By: bangster)

Bangster thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    Thank you Larry,
    No hand washer here,
    So when I put all of this together is this the order?
    Press on the hour hand.
    Place a hand washer or bushing on.
    Place the minute hand.
    Place the pin in the hole? (is there a hand washer needed under the pin too?)

Dave.
    Hand washer goes between minute hand and the pin. No washer goes between the minute and hour hand. Push the hour hand well onto its shaft. It doesn't have to clear the dial by much.

If there's room, make sure that the hand washer is the dished kind so that it can exert some force on the minute hand and keep it on the shoulder of the hand shaft. That generally fixes things.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

The washer should be a brass cupped washer and go between the minute hand and a steel pin, no washer between the hands. The hand should be a snug fit on the shaft to start with. The cupped washer and pin are added to tighten everything up.
    It would be very unusual for a properly adjusted minute hand to be "nice and straight". More normal would be a small outward dog-leg near the center disk with a slight jog back toward the dial just past the tip of the hour hand. The hands should be close to parallel and about 1/8" apart for most of their length. The hour hand can be close to the dial as long as it's no closer than about 1/16" from touching anything.
    Good luck, Willie X

Default Re: Ingraham Hands getting locked on each other. (By: Willie X)

I think a picture would be helpful. I recently posted about a similar problem on a GF clock. Turned out that the dial was separating, inhibiting the movement of the hour hand. Re-did that and all is well.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.