Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    The first reason is that they aren't original stakes made to fit the set. It was never a good idea to mix staking sets.
    I have no idea if they are mixed or not...

I did the steel wool trick on them last night and also ran a small caliber brass cleaning brush through the sleeve as well and all but one now slides nicely through the tool.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information

The one could have greater damage.
    Sliding a good vernier caliper along it will show this or at least tell you whether it should fit the comparison with the others.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-26-2017 at 07:51 AM.

The one could have greater damage.
    Sliding a good vernier caliper along it will show this or at least tell you whether it should fit the comparison with the others.
    Most places say to use a brass hammer with our stakes. I was wondering if using a nylon hammer would be even better than using brass? -I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Most places say to use a brass hammer with our stakes. I was wondering if using a nylon hammer would be even better than using brass? -I have both.
    Nylon will wear steel faster than brass. Yet I doubt it will hammer steel like steel does. It is also about the impact force you require to deliver when striking the stake.

Nylon will wear steel faster than brass. Yet I doubt it will hammer steel like steel does. It is also about the impact force you require to deliver when striking the stake.
    Ok. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Ok. Thanks.
    Nylon like any hammer material, has its known force appplication. As I implied. how hard and fast do you want to push?
    I could have said, everything is relative but I think that if about a staking set, this is true.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-26-2017 at 09:13 AM.

And you just" tap" the stakes not "strike" the stakes.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: Firegriff)

Quote Originally Posted by Firegriff View Post
    And you just" tap" the stakes not "strike" the stakes.
    You mean that I don't need my 10 pound hammer? lol

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    ... Since this was made back in the early 1900's, there is not an instruction manual with it, so I don't know if there are any moveable parts to it.
    Surf over to the Inverto web site. There, on the References tab, you will find the original patent documents for download, which will give you a clear understanding of the internals of the staking anvil. Also, there are copies of the Staking Tools and How To Use Them manual, as well as product brochures. Although you don't have an Inverto 17 or 18, the majority of the information available to you from this site is applicable to your New Series.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    ... But is there anything that allows the "collar/sleeve" (sorry, don't know if that is the correct term) where the staking tool passes through to be bigger or smaller.
    I bought a New Series staking set originally which was very difficult to insert stakes. I eventually solved the problem by visiting a local machine shop where the proprietor reamed out the staking tool's arm to 0.185" which is exactly a #13 Drill. The internal tension spring was rusty which prevented the stakes from being inserted.Your's might have the same problem.
    Last edited by robmack; 04-27-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    - Robert

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: robmack)

Thank you Robert... being able to see the exploded view of the tool is extremely helpful. As I said, only one stake now binds up, and I think I can live with that. It is one of the rounded nose stakes, and there are a few others that are of similar size. When I used the brass gun barrel bore brush on it, it seemed to clean out any of the gunk that built up in it over the 100+ years.