Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poor mans staking set information

I'd like to start "trying" to fix some broken watches that I might be able to pick up inexpensively. The problem I am running up against is many of the watches that I see that are mot running look like the balance wheels need to be fixed. In my research, I know I will need a staking set, but most seem to be extremely expensive. Can any of you guide me with your wisdom of what I should be looking for and how much I should be looking to spend (PM me if that part violates any forum rules).

Thanks,

John

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: kd8tzc)

John,

Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to check Uncle Larry. He always has a selection of staking sets.

http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/tools.html#staking

David
    David S

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: David S)

Thanks David... actually, just after sending this, a friend of mine sent me an email about a K&D New Style Staking set that was on Ebay for a very good price. Looking at it, it appeared to have everything. Hopefully this will be the first in my investment to make minor repairs to my watches. I guess I should also get a few other tools (tweezers) and the like. If you have any suggestions of what I should pick up to get started, let me know.

Blog Entries

kd8tzc, I get along fine with a #2 and #5 tweezer, a set of Bergeon screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, various gauges (watch size, hand size, crystal gauge), a small vise, mainspring winder, various watch oils and oilers, a used L&R watch cleaner(no ultrasonic yet) found on Ebay, watch papers, nitrile gloves or finger cots, small storage tins, a glass cheese cover for keeping dust off, staking set, roller remover, pallet warmer, shellac, toothpicks, a couple of pieces of pithwood, some pegwood where the toothpicks don't work, watch cleaner and rinse, One Dip, Rodico, bench block, case opener or small pocket knife, bench mat, magnavisor, loupes, demagnetizer, a set of inexpensive watch keys for winding keywind watches, a couple of different size movement holders.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information

That's a nice list... thanks. Lots of stuff in there, but that gives me an idea of what I will need to invest in.

I have often wondered though what the difference is between the types of tweezers (e.g. #2 vs #5). For things like tweezers and screwdrivers, is there a good place to buy these and are can someone recommend some brands? Also, what about specific sizes for the screwdrivers if you were working with a limited budget (vs buying an entire set at $200+)

Blog Entries

Hi kd8tzc,

For tweezers, one of the best makers is Dumont; although they're expensive, the difference is use is considerable, especially since they form an extension of your hand, they're so much more comfortable to use, and they can be picked up second-hand. Screwdrivers are also a fundamental necessity, and again may seem expensive, but look at A*F and Horotec as well as Bergeon. The seemingly cheap Chinese and Indian offerings aren't really cheap if you consider how long they'll last and what they're like to use. Second-hand tools are often pretty worn, so look carefully before buying. There are some good sites selling used tools and materials; Uncle Larry, Dashto, Daveswatchparts, etc.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    That's a nice list... thanks. Lots of stuff in there, but that gives me an idea of what I will need to invest in.

I have often wondered though what the difference is between the types of tweezers (e.g. #2 vs #5). For things like tweezers and screwdrivers, is there a good place to buy these and are can someone recommend some brands? Also, what about specific sizes for the screwdrivers if you were working with a limited budget (vs buying an entire set at $200+)
    Do some research, that's what I did. I did a bunch of studying in forums, books, and websites. I normally visit a forum for weeks before I join one. I checked out stores like Esslinger, Otto Frei, etc. I researched what new tools cost vs used and vintage tools at eBay and other online stores like Dave's . It took a lot of time and work. I tried to concentrate on tools that I needed most and bought more monthly as I could afford to - ITMT studying and researching. I bought the Chicago School of Watchmaking course on DVD, and some books.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: Accutronica)

I have as much fun collecting horological tools as much as I do watches.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information (By: Firegriff)

Quote Originally Posted by Firegriff View Post
    I have as much fun collecting horological tools as much as I do watches.
    I do as well, though I have to pass up on many because I can't afford them. If I can I'll normally buy a vintage tool before a brand new one even if the new tool is cheaper. But I'm doing this on a budget and sometimes that plays a role in my decisions.
    I bought the entire collection of a watchmakers screws except for 1 load of screws that I couldn't bid on because I was broke. But after looking at the photo's, I already had most of the types of screws in that load. This last load that I won has a lot of case and movement screws in it. I'm pretty confident that no matter what type of watch I'm servicing, if I need a screw, I have one. Also, I have found some very unusual looking screws and some watch hands and stuff hidden among the screws.

Hi all, this is some great advice... thank you so much.

As said earlier, I did pickup a used New Style K&D Special staking set. One question I have though is some of the stakes are really tight when going though the tool. Should this be the case or do I need to do something that loosens this up (is there an adjustment setting)?

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    I do as well, though I have to pass up on many because I can't afford them. If I can I'll normally buy a vintage tool before a brand new one even if the new tool is cheaper. But I'm doing this on a budget and sometimes that plays a role in my decisions.
    I bought the entire collection of a watchmakers screws except for 1 load of screws that I couldn't bid on because I was broke. But after looking at the photo's, I already had most of the types of screws in that load. This last load that I won has a lot of case and movement screws in it. I'm pretty confident that no matter what type of watch I'm servicing, if I need a screw, I have one. Also, I have found some very unusual looking screws and some watch hands and stuff hidden among the screws.
    Oops, I was wrong..it wasn't the entire load of screws.

- - - Updated - - -

As said earlier, I did pickup a used New Style K&D Special staking set. One question I have though is some of the stakes are really tight when going though the tool. Should this be the case or do I need to do something that loosens this up (is there an adjustment setting)?
    Are they dry? I coated all of mine with oil.

Default Re: Poor mans staking set information

Yes, but they are also quite old. I guess what causes me concern is that some slip though like a hot knife in butter and a few don't want to go in at all. Since this was made back in the early 1900's, there is not an instruction manual with it, so I don't know if there are any moveable parts to it. It does have a large screw on the back of the unit that tightens and loosens the plate that can be rotated to align the proper hole. But is there anything that allows the "collar/sleeve" (sorry, don't know if that is the correct term) where the staking tool passes through to be bigger or smaller. I just hope the person who sold this to me did have some other stakes that were for a different device that might be slightly larger.

I took out the micrometer and they all seem to be 3/16". What type of oil would you recommend? 3 in 1 oil? Normal 30 weight oil? something else?
    Last edited by kd8tzc; 04-25-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Okay, so I used some of my gun oil on the stakes, and still have those that don't want to go through. I wonder if there is just very fine corrosion or something on them that I just am not seeing, feeling, etc. I might put them in my drill press, turn it on a slow setting, and then use some very fine steel wool on them to buff them a bit and see if that makes it any better. Some will go through about 3/4 of the way, and then stop. I wonder if they may just not be true and are getting wedged. I'll see if I can find a nice level surface that I can test if that is the case. Luckily, only a very small number of them are like this.

Okay, so I used some of my gun oil on the stakes, and still have those that don't want to go through. I wonder if there is just very fine corrosion or something on them that I just am not seeing, feeling, etc. I might put them in my drill press, turn it on a slow setting, and then use some very fine steel wool on them to buff them a bit and see if that makes it any better. Some will go through about 3/4 of the way, and then stop. I wonder if they may just not be true and are getting wedged. I'll see if I can find a nice level surface that I can test if that is the case. Luckily, only a very small number of them are like this.
    I cleaned mine up with steel wool by hand. I used 3in1 oil. I would measure them in mm's and see how much different they are.

The first reason is that they aren't original stakes made to fit the set. It was never a good idea to mix staking sets.

It is possible that one end of the stakes will be rivetted by hammering the end with steel hammers. Usually people who treat their tools like this, also bend them. A bent stake wont fit either.

Sometimes rust can cause problems but a quick rub with emery paper should fix this in no time at all.