Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Saw this movement in a tallcase clock

Have never seen one like this and know nothing about it. It is obviously a musical clock based on the bells but also appears to strike on a gong. Appears to have 8 bells and the gong looks to me to be from a ST clock. Anybody have any ideas on what it is, who made it and when?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400-12.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	340783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400-52.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	340784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400-37.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	340785  

Default Re: Saw this movement in a tallcase clock (By: upstateny)

I know little about brass movement tallcase clocks, but my guess is that the gong would count the hours, and the quarters (or just the hour) would be marked by a musical tune. Just a guess, but an interesting clock indeed!

George

Default Re: Saw this movement in a tallcase clock (By: George Nelson)

Thanks George, however I'm not sure about Westminster. Since the movement has 8 bells and a gong. In my experience WestM clocks have 8 chime rods but only 4 are used for the chime, the other 4 struck in unison constitute the strike. My guess is the gong is used to count the hour and perhaps strike once on the half. The bells are a mystery, unless it is chiming a tune I'm not familiar with. The dial has a 'Chime/Silent' selector in the arch but no means that I can see to select between different tunes. So, my guess is that it plays only one tune that is comprised of 8 notes, such as Whittington or St. Micheal.

Name:	s-l400-24.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	340801  

Unless there is another switch through the dial to select the chime, Westminster, Canterbury, etc., it's more than likely a one tune on eight bells, striking the hours on the gong.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: Saw this movement in a tallcase clock (By: lpbp)

Just noticed there may be a very small lever at the three position in the attached photo. I still have no idea of the movement maker. Never seen a bell/gong arrangement before.

Name:	s-l400-49.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	340805  

You get bell gong setups in Victorian bracket clocks.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Saw this movement in a tallcase clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Novice, have look at the pics in the first post. Does this thing look English or American to you? The pendulum looks to be of the sort used in a Herschede or Waltham 'longcase' clock. And how about Lewis blowing the race by impedeing Ricciardo!

I can't answer on any of that I'm afraid as it is outside my experience, all I know is that the arrangement of bells and a gong is not at all unusual in Victorian clocks. (I look at a lot of bracket clocks and stop as soon as I see a gong, so I don't go much further into them.)
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Saw this movement in a tallcase clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Usually the little lever on the right side of the dial at the 3 o'clock position selects 1 of 3 available tunes. On occasion its sole purpose is to silence the chime and the hour strike is silenced by the hand in the arc. Movements such as these were offered by a number of companies over the years including Waltham, Elite, Walter Durfee, Colonial Clock Company, Elliot from the UK, and several other companies. They are usually quite robust and generally preceded tubular chime versions by a few years. Cases range from plain to oh my goodness in various styles, carved or not carved. Some are cased in cases well over 10 feet tall.

From the photos provided the maker of this clock is not obvious. Most, but not all, were signed on the dial with a small plaque held by a couple of small screws.

Quote Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
    Thanks George, however I'm not sure about Westminster. Since the movement has 8 bells and a gong. In my experience WestM clocks have 8 chime rods but only 4 are used for the chime, the other 4 struck in unison constitute the strike. My guess is the gong is used to count the hour and perhaps strike once on the half. The bells are a mystery, unless it is chiming a tune I'm not familiar with. The dial has a 'Chime/Silent' selector in the arch but no means that I can see to select between different tunes. So, my guess is that it plays only one tune that is comprised of 8 notes, such as Whittington or St. Micheal.

Thanks for the lesson, upstateny! I should have counted the bells, which I carelessly did not do. I think that Jim DuBois' answer above most likely explains things perfectly. He is extremely knowledgeable and experienced!

Best,

George

Registered user.

Default Re: The "pin drum" will reveal the tune(s). (By: upstateny)

Wonderful! Love the bells. Accurately tuned?
    Confucius say: "Man own clock know time. Own two, never sure."

Default Re: The "pin drum" will reveal the tune(s). (By: Robert Gift)

I agree with Jim's observation. These clocks were made by a number of different companies and always of very good quality. Just like many of the 8 bell bracket clocks they had a selection of Westminster or Chime on 8 bells. The Westminster used only 4 of the bells and the 8 bell chime were sometime identified as to Canterbury etc but a lot were just an 8 bell sequence composed by the manufacturer. The bells were always well tuned and sound great.
    The hour strike was on the large deep toned gong.

Don't know if you have access to the clock but I wouldn't doubt that the lever at 3 o'clock would be for changing the sequence to either Westminster or chime on 8 bells by moving the pin barrel in the movement slightly.

if you can access the dial try moving that lever and and then advancing the hands to the next quarter to see what you get. Just remember wait till the chime is finished it's cycle before you move the change lever.
    You might see a marking at the top and bottom of that lever indicating something like "West" "Cant".. in small letters.