Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music?

I have an old Black Forest cuckoo clock that we just put a new movement in.
    It belonged to my grandparents, and I've never had one before.

It has no switch on it to turn off the music and cuckoo since it's so old. Can I just remove the weights at night that control those two things so we aren't disturbed and then put them carefully back on in the morning? Or is there another idea?

Thank you!
    Renate

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Renate)

That really does not work very well on some of those clocks because the hour hand and the strike count get out of synch. But what you can do is to stop the pendulum at say 8 PM and start it swinging again at 8AM - or whatever time you choose 12 hours later. If you forget and start it later in the morning you can still advance the minute hand, wait for the strike and music at each step and set the proper time. Can you post a picture of the new movement you just put into the clock? Some of the new movements do have a "silent" lever on them. If your new movement has that feature then it might be possible to put a small rod out the bottom of the clock to turn it off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Renate View Post
    I have an old Black Forest cuckoo clock that we just put a new movement in.
    It belonged to my grandparents, and I've never had one before.

It has no switch on it to turn off the music and cuckoo since it's so old. Can I just remove the weights at night that control those two things so we aren't disturbed and then put them carefully back on in the morning? Or is there another idea?

Thank you!
    Renate
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: THTanner)

That was my second idea. Unfortunately, I can't get a pic of the movement (clock is back at the shop since the water wheel isn't turning properly). But originally, the owner of the clock shop said there is no way to switch it off (and that's when we thought he said to either not wind those chains or take off those weights...can't remember exactly what he said.)

Thank you.

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Renate)

There are two basic kinds of movements - "count wheel" and "rack and snail". If it is a count wheel it will get out of synch - but those usually have a wire or little door on the side to get them back in synch manually. If it is rack and snail it will get back in synch pretty much on its own. Ask the shop if it is a rack and snail movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Renate View Post
    That was my second idea. Unfortunately, I can't get a pic of the movement (clock is back at the shop since the water wheel isn't turning properly). But originally, the owner of the clock shop said there is no way to switch it off (and that's when we thought he said to either not wind those chains or take off those weights...can't remember exactly what he said.)

Thank you.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

While it's in the shop get them to add the little cut-off feature that THT mentioned. If you have a replacement movementit will have this feature, or it can be easily added.
    Willie X

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: THTanner)

Okeedok. Thank you!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	340813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	340814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	340815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	340816

This is the clock with the OLD movement, however, they replaced it with the same Regula movement.

If you push in that little spring loaded shaft, just below the upper right post nut, the cuckoo will be disabled. A small wood stick/block could probably be placed (semi-permanently) between the corner of the whistle and this shaft to stop the cuckoo. This shaft pushes the strike flirt foward and completely clear of the cam that activates it.
    It is easy to install the factory cam that is made for this purpose. It takes 3 or 4 small special parts depending on whether you want the lever through the side of the case, or a wire through the bottom of the case.
    Willie X

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Willie X)

An easy fix was mentioned in the other thread. Stop the clock over night and start it again at the same 'time' in the morning.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.