Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    The rack tail falls into the 12 o'clock notch in the snail. Since
    it doesn't get gathered, it runs into the wall between 12 and 1 on the snail.
    Most are mounted on a spring to allow it to push out of the way
    and not damage itself or the clock, should the time run longer than the
    strike.
    If the movement doesn't stall, it will drag around the inside of the snail.
    Since there is nothing there to keep it from going deeper, it may
    go so deep that in the morning, it may miss the end of the rack.
    Even if not, it will scrape across the back of the snail ( or front, depending
    on design ) and scratch the snail.
    If repeated, day after day, the damage will be quite clear.
    ( I've seen it where it had worn the tip of the rack tail enough
    that is no longer landed on the snail ).
    Tinker Dwight
    Thanks Tinker. I never thought of that. I have an old cuckoo clock movement I'll play around with and see what happens.

Willy

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    Think about it. The train is unlocked. Wheels are being driven, but can't turn. A gear train in that condition is undergoing a stress condition it's not meant to undergo.

People smarter than me informed me, long ago, that the cuckoo door latch is just to keep the door from flopping around when the clock is moved. Made sense to me.
    You may be right about the locked cuckoo door creating stress on the gear train but doesn't clipping the chains together create the same stress? I can't see why there would be any difference in one over the other.

Willy

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: chezwilly)

Quote Originally Posted by chezwilly View Post
    I'm sorry to say I don't understand your comment. How does the rack get blocked at 12:00? Even if that does occur how would you tie the rack off each evening to avoid hearing it while you are asleep?
    Willy
    I guess I didn't catch the part about silencing it only at night. I don't think that's going to be possible. The issues are explained well by Tinker. The music can be silenced at will, and will not affect the clock.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I guess I didn't catch the part about silencing it only at night. I don't think that's going to be possible. The issues are explained well by Tinker. The music can be silenced at will, and will not affect the clock.
    As Sbug says, you can remove the weight from the music without issue.
    The strike is best to hold it in warning and hold the rack from falling.
    Not simple to do but can be done.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Tinker Dwight)

I agree with others that you will get used to it quickly. If not maybe take the weight from the music drive at night and use some foam plugs that will slightly slow the air flow through the "whistles" and quiet them, do NOT use anything that blocks or severely restricts the airflow. Just a little air resistance will greatly reduce the volume. Or the easiest would be to go back to the clock shop and trade yours for one with either a shut-off lever or better yet a model with an automatic night silencer.

I am just finishing up a Quail Cuckoo so that will be a new set of sounds to get used to at night

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music?

I suppose one could drill holes in the back of the bellows tubes, and plug them when you wanted sound and open them when you didn't

I see you have the same question running in the General forum. It would be best to keep it all together. If I merged the two threads together now (which I was very tempted to do), it would make a pretty confusing thread, because the responses are date sorted.
    Last edited by shutterbug; 04-21-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music?

Quote Originally Posted by chezwilly View Post
    You may be right about the locked cuckoo door creating stress on the gear train but doesn't clipping the chains together create the same stress? I can't see why there would be any difference in one over the other.

Willy
    When the chains are linked together the train never unlocks. The sprocket wheel never moves. The fan never spins. The train isn't driven.

As to the clips....won't this put some sorta strain on the gears/movement also? The weight will want to go down while the other chain is going up and then stops suddenly by the clip.
    There's no stopping or starting. When the chains are tied together, neither one moves. If you're worried about the bit of slack the length of a paper clip, use a twist tie instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twist tie.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	552.0 KB 
ID:	340876
    Last edited by bangster; 04-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    When the chains are linked together the train never unlocks. The sprocket wheel never moves. The fan never spins. The train isn't driven.

There's no stopping or starting. When the chains are tied together, neither one moves. If you're worried about the bit of slack the length of a paper clip, use a twist tie instead.

You still have the same problem with the rack tail being pushed behind the snail as you would with the door locked, or the weights removed.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: harold bain)

I just stop the pendulum from swinging, centering it. Mine does not restart unless I start the swinging again by pushing it sideways. I have not bothered to lock the chains together, the weights just hang. Seems to work. I don't suppose this is harmful, but am not an expert.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: isaksp00)

You have used the most logical method, just stop it for 12 hours, then start it again the next day.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    You still have the same problem with the rack tail being pushed behind the snail as you would with the door locked, or the weights removed.
    OP says it's a new movement. All recent cuckoo movements have a spring-loaded rack tail, to prevent the "12 o'clock wall" problem from happening. The rack tail just moves to the front of the snail and rides there. Tink thinks it will scratch the snail. Maybe so, if it ran that way for weeks on end (though I'm not convinced); but we're talking about a few hours a day.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

If the movement is a new Regula and the shop is familiar with cuckoo's... they could add a night time shut off lever. I'd recommend drilling a small hole through the bottom of the case and having the push up/down type rather than cutting a slot in the side of the case. The kit costs a buck or two and then you just need a long enough wire to go from the lever out of the bottom of the case. A spare bird wire usually does the trick. It would take an experienced person 15 minutes to install it.

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Chris D)

What about the music, though? How do I turn that off?

Thanks

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music? (By: Renate)

Quote Originally Posted by Renate View Post
    What about the music, though? How do I turn that off?

Thanks
    If stops in warning, the music doesn't start either.
    Tinker Dwight

It prevents it from lifting the activation lever, so it never triggers the cuckoo or music or allows the rack to fall and get stuck at 12 on the snail.