Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position?

Sorry guys if this is out there someplace, but I didn't have much luck searching for it. I keep seeing these terms in some of your posts and I have no clue by what you mean when you say you have "such and such watch, adjusted" or that the watch was never adjusted to the 6th position. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what this all means (or point me to a post that explains all this terminology).

Thanks

Default Re: Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position? (By: kd8tzc)

If you find (or imagine) a watch which is in poor condition (or simply, badly designed or cheaply made) then its timekeeping may vary according to a number of factors, including -
    What position it is in (face up, face down, stem up, stem down, sideways/diagonally, etc)
    Whether it is fully wound or nearly unwound (lack of "isochronism"), and
    Variations in temperature (heat, cold.)

...so basically you can't rely on it to always be telling the correct time.

If you now imagine a newly-made watch still at the factory - "adjustment" was a slow process of assessing its timekeeping in various circumstances, and then adjusting it as necessary.
    More adjustment = more expensive, in return for (hopefully) better accuracy.

As far as I am aware, there was no standard list of "Position 1 is this, Position 2 is that (etc)" common to all the manufacturers.

Smile Re: Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position?

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    ... I have no clue by what you mean when you say you have "such and such watch, adjusted" or that the watch was never adjusted to the 6th position. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what this all means (or point me to a post that explains all this terminology).

Thanks
    Perhaps you'll find the Encyclopedia article entitled "Watch Adjustment" to be helpful.

You may also find the following Encyclopedia articles useful in understanding pocket watches and the terms that are used in discussing them:

The Encyclopedia articles listed in these links may also be helpful to you, especially the items and links listed in each article's References section.

And perhaps you will find the following Encyclopedia articles useful:

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.
    Last edited by Kent; 04-19-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Fixed links
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position? (By: Kent)

illinois
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunnsangamo6posad.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	340753  

Default Re: Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position? (By: terry hall)

Thanks all... that's quite helpful. Is the watch stamped/marked someplace that it is adjusted or was that only in the advertisements? I guess, how would you know?

Smile Re: Adjusted? Adjusted 6th position? (By: kd8tzc)

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    ... Is the watch stamped/marked someplace that it is adjusted or was that only in the advertisements? I guess, how would you know?
    Most are marked. Your question is answered in detail, with links to pictures, in the Watch Adjustment Encyclopedia article.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia