Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance?

Hi all, this movement is an unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? Looks like a "Poole's Auxiliary" upside down? I think it is of Liverpool origin. It also has a strange "something" near the Lever; shown by arrow. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	340691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	340685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	340686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	340687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	340688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	336.1 KB 
ID:	340689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	340690

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray,

Poole's auxiliary constrains the outward movement of the balance rim in cold, by the smaller screw bearing on the closed end of the rim. Because of its position it was very hard to adjust precisely. Yours bridges the cut and appears to constrain the cut end of the rim; if the screw in the "free" end is threaded in the rim it will have the effect of limiting the inward movement of the rim in heat, whereas if it's free to move in the rim and threaded in the affix itself, it will limit the outward movement in cold. Can you tell whether that screw is actually threaded in the affix or just resting on it?

Alternatively this could just be a means of locking the rim during adjustment of the screws.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	340692 Hi Graham, I will let you know. Maybe this will help, the Arrow points to what looks like Steel; Brass Screw on the outside of Balance Rim and Steel on the inside of the Balance Rim. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 04-19-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray,

I see what you mean, most odd. There doesn't seem to be any wire or fine spring across the cut similar to the Molyneaux pattern. Whatever its function, it's most unusual to see anything like this in an ordinary lever pocket watch.

I think that other pin you highlighted is a banking pin. The matching one could be planted on the same side of the lever but inboard of the pivot.

Regards,

Graham

Registered user.

This looks decidedly early to me: probably before 1830, at least. Quite apart from the auxiliary (a term which I must confess was new to me), the balance is a very advanced pattern for this period. Another treasure, Ray!

Oliver Mundy.

Thanks Oliver, it is like me considered "Strange"; I think that it was made in Liverpool and the lack of a Makers Name makes me wonder if it was a "One-off Special"? I did not think that it was as early as you suppose, but it has an early look about it. I found a Chronometer by Rich Jolly with a similar Balance Cock from c1808. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 04-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? (By: Lychnobius)

Hi Oliver,

Chapter XI from Gould's "The Marine Chronometer" deals with compensated balances at some length. I agree that it could be before 1830; this pattern of screwed balance, developed by the Penningtons, was in use by the turn of the century or soon after, and in fact Ray's balance is almost identical to Pennington's type "L", which is known from examples dating from 1814 onwards.

Regards,

Graham

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? (By: gmorse)

An interesting movement. I'd agree that its origins are quite early on for a lever but I'm not convinced that that is the original balance. The rim has certainly been played about with, with those various timing washers and the two plain pins fitted through what are presumaly tapped holes.
    My feeling is that someone has added that compensation to the balance at some time later as a bit of an experiment.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unmarked Fusee with some sort of Auxiliary on the Balance? (By: SKennedy)

Hi Seth,

...My feeling is that someone has added that compensation to the balance at some time later as a bit of an experiment...
    I think that makes sense, and the two plain pins could have replaced normal screws to compensate in part for the extra weight of the affixes. Whoever did it presumably knew about Pennington balances.

Regards,

Graham

Hi, I think that too much emphasis is being placed on "two Plain Pins" rather than the "Balance Auxiliary parts". Screws or pins, not really important. The pins could have easily been Screws. Whoever has worked on this Balance obviously knew what they were doing and it may have been the original Maker or a later edition, as lots of movements were converted around this time; I have a few myself. I feel that it was possibly a Watchmaker or the Original Maker that worked on the Balance, as they would have access to Balance Screw Washers and the ability and the tools and Machinery to make the "Auxiliary" parts for the Balance. What does interest me is something that so far has not been mentioned; who made the movement and where; I think it is a Liverpool movement? Why no Makers Name on what looks to be an advanced movement. We may never know. It also will be interesting to know what sort of escapement it has? Massey or what? Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

...I think it is a Liverpool movement?...
    Yes, that's pretty certain, from the regulator scale, the "piecrust" edge and the floral engraving on the cock table. As it's a Liverpool piece, there's a fair chance that the frame maker has stamped the pillar plate, so that's worth a look. The "Patent" and "Detach'd" engravings are often associated with Massey escapements, and there just might be a stamp under the cock foot for EM himself.

Regards,

Graham

Hi, I have searched the net and I am almost going to admit defeat, the only Pocket Watches and movements that I have found are associated with Pennington: Pennington's type "L" Balance. I have not found a movement that looks like this movement that has a plain Balance; I am beginning to think that this is a "One Off" movement. Help! Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

...I am beginning to think that this is a "One Off" movement...
    Yes, I think that's highly likely. It might even have been modified by one of Pennington's workmen on his own account.

Regards,

Graham

Hi, the movement is coming from Gonzalo in Buenos Aires I wonder if Pennington had a Dealer there?
    ...I am beginning to think that this is a "One Off" movement...
    Yes, I think that's highly likely. It might even have been modified by one of Pennington's workmen on his own account.
    Regards Ray

Hi, I found this (photo) in a Google Free Book. It is similar but slightly different to the Balance in my movement. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaq.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	341210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	341211