Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Barn(e)s label question

I purchased this clock a few years back and have been unable to satisfy my curiosity concerning its history. It is a very basic clock, and I purchased it only because of the label interest, well and I like groaners. I will try to insert photos. It has a full over-paste label where someone in the past had removed a small section to expose portions of the original. The over-paste appears to be the typical "improved clocks manufactured by Chauncey Boardman" in Bristol. Ct. The lower section with label printers name is missing. I cannot peel back more of the over-paste, however the character size and location exposed on the original matches a clock auctioned off a few years back labeled E.M. Barns, Chimney Point, Vt. printed in Aurora, Vermont. My question is why would a large scale Connecticut clockmaker over-paste his label onto a product from this small clockmaker in Vermont? I have seen photos of two other clocks with the opposite exchange of manufacture, where a small section over-paste of Edward M. Barnes, Addison, Vermont was over another full label.
    I think my clock started with the Edward M. Barn(e)s listed in Barnes was in Chimney Point, Vt. Ca. 1830-1834 and Bristol, Conn. 1834-1845. Later partnering with Bacon. Also the different spelling of Barns/Barnes is a question. Has anyone seen a clock labeled by Asahel Barnes (father) from Chimney Point, Vermont?
    I hope someone can shed some light on my questions or at least has some good idea. Thank you your help is greatly appreciated. Diane L. Burghardt, Carthage, N.C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1510.jpg 
Views:	1961 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	340588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1511.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	340589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1556.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	340590  

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question (By: dlb1052)

Hi, Diane,

Interesting questions, all! Can we please see pictures of the movement? If you don't know how to remove the face of the clock, we can give you easy instructions. In seeing the movement, we might be able to give you at least a bit of information about your most interesting clock and label situation!

Warmest regards,

George Nelson

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question (By: George Nelson)

Thank you George for your response. The movement has some slight variations in comparison to my other 8 or 9 groaner movements. The cups around pivots are less pronounced and have a sloping shoulder toward the pivot pin, not a sharp drop. The hour pipe has an 1/8 inch larger diameter. And the movement has an extra pillar on the outside plate near the strike winding arbor. I presume to hold the face away from the movement. Hope this photo helps. Being somewhat new to this hobby, and by far NO expert
    , I respect any and all help. It appears to be a relatively original clock with the exception of the replacement mirror.

Name:	IMAG1507.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	340612  

dlb1052,

Many thanks for the movement picture. I wish I was an expert (on anything, actually), but there are others who closely watch the Wood Movement threads who will be along to comment on your quite interesting movement. I'm quite jealous to hear that you have 8 or 9 groaners- to date, I have not been able to add one to my collection. Someday, perhaps...

My very best,

George

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question

Quote Originally Posted by dlb1052 View Post
    I purchased this clock a few years back and have been unable to satisfy my curiosity concerning its history. It is a very basic clock, and I purchased it only because of the label interest, well and I like groaners. I will try to insert photos. It has a full over-paste label where someone in the past had removed a small section to expose portions of the original. The over-paste appears to be the typical "improved clocks manufactured by Chauncey Boardman" in Bristol. Ct. The lower section with label printers name is missing. I cannot peel back more of the over-paste, however the character size and location exposed on the original matches a clock auctioned off a few years back labeled E.M. Barns, Chimney Point, Vt. printed in Aurora, Vermont. My question is why would a large scale Connecticut clockmaker over-paste his label onto a product from this small clockmaker in Vermont? I have seen photos of two other clocks with the opposite exchange of manufacture, where a small section over-paste of Edward M. Barnes, Addison, Vermont was over another full label.
    I think my clock started with the Edward M. Barn(e)s listed in Barnes was in Chimney Point, Vt. Ca. 1830-1834 and Bristol, Conn. 1834-1845. Later partnering with Bacon. Also the different spelling of Barns/Barnes is a question. Has anyone seen a clock labeled by Asahel Barnes (father) from Chimney Point, Vermont?
    I hope someone can shed some light on my questions or at least has some good idea. Thank you your help is greatly appreciated. Diane L. Burghardt, Carthage, N.C.
    Pretty clock.

Recently, a clock by another maker typically associated with VT was discussed in this forum (Jason W. Rawson).

In that thread, this link was provided: http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970...84/184_420.pdf

It's an article about clock making in VT.

It discusses Asahel and E.M. Barnes and may answer your questions, at least in part. Take a look.

Re: spelling. Misspellings and variant spellings are not that uncommon on labels and dials.

RM

Hi,

In answer to your question, yes, I have seen a clock labeled Asahel Barnes, Chimney Point, Vermont. I had owned one for awhile and later auctioned it off. You are correct that he is related to Edward Barnes, I believe a father - son relationship. I can't tell you if mine was an overpasted label. Yours is a nice example with the stenciling on the columns.

I found some information in the Cog Counters Journal from 1975, by Jack Clough of New York. He had an off-the cuff theory that "Asahel was an assembler of clocks. He bought the movements from Conn Suppliers and made cases in Vermont or has his clock shipped complete, possibly though the Champlain canal. E.M Barnes was the son of Asahel, and no doubt worked in the business, probably going to Bristol, CT to secure clocks and clock parts for shipment to Vermont. Ashahel eventually retired from the clock business or died, and Edward Barnes continued for awhile in Vermont with overpasted labels on his clocks from CT. With growing business contacts in Bristol, and seeing that opportunities were greater there, he moved east to Bristol in 1834 to get in on the clock boom. He partnered with John Bacon as Bacon and Barnes. The rolled brass era ended his participation in the clock making business". I hope this information helps in your search for information on the E. Barnes and A. Barnes Vermont connection.

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question (By: James Gardner)

Thank you all for your responses to my Barnes clock with a Chauncey Boardman over paste. I have followed up on your suggestions. I read the very interesting article and contacted the DAR museum. They have agreed to send some photos of the two Barnes clocks they have at the museum when the museum opens in a month. It is all such fascinating history. I still don't understand the over paste which seems to be reverse over paste of what I expected,(Barnes over Boardman not Boardman over Barnes). Whatever the reason I still love this clock and again thank you all for your input. Diane

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question

I have attached 4 pictures and the story about Asahel Barnes clockmaking activities and a couple of clocks of his that I have in my collection. The rougher label was an E.M. overpaste at one time. The labels were all printed at the Aurora Press in Vergennes, Vermont.

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	344822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	344823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1698.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	344824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1700.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	344825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1699.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	328.4 KB 
ID:	344826  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1701.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	344827  
    Last edited by Peter A. Nunes; 05-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Barn(e)s label question (By: Frederick Ringer)

Dear Frederick, All I can say is WOW!! Your clocks are beautiful. Thank you so much for the interesting story and the great pictures. I do appreciate your input as well as what all of you collectors have to say. It is such a fascinating hobby. And I love reading all the educational posts you are all willing to share. Again thanks for the photos. Diane