Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards

I think what's going wrong is that the minute hand bush is not correctly syncronized. It's doing the strikes at 15 min and at 45 min. You should take the minute hand off and rotate the bush about a quarter of a turn.

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards (By: ragobo)

It looks like it's going into warning, but not dropping out to allow the train to run. Look for a stop pin or lever either touching the fan, or the wheel under it.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards (By: shutterbug)

I'll have a look at that, contrasting the way it behaves when moving forwards and when it moves backwards

Will keep you posted

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards (By: dalgetty)

The clock is going into warning but it is not starting the strike.
    The wire that is lifting at the front of the clock is most likely
    the culprit.
    Try this experiment.
    move the minute hand until the lifting lever ( the one in front )
    has just dropped.
    Push it down a little against its springiness. You should have to bend
    it. I believe it will trip the strike.
    Please report back.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards (By: dalgetty)

Hi Tinker,
    I just followed your instructions and that's exactly what happens!

Registered user.

You can see there is a set screw at the right end if the lever.
    You should be able to set it so that it just goes high enough to
    do a single strike at the half hour and the full strike at the
    hour.
    Tinker Dwight.

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards (By: Tinker Dwight)

Dear Everybody,

This is the sound of victory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSW91A4EQTI

Thanks to all of you for your help - I had never even opened the back door of a cuckoo clock before Monday. I could never have fixed this without you.

Above all, high five to Tinker Dwight - thanks a million ! You were right on the money.

Tomorrow I am going to return this cuckoo to the chalet here in Switzerland, where it has hung in pride of place since the 1940s.

Best Wishes,

John

Now just rotate the hour hand to match the call of the bird, and you have it
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Cuckoo sings if the hands are moved backwards, but not if they go forwards

If there's something in common on all those cuckoo birds is that they are not very polite and always close their door with a bang