Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: John P)

Well while we are speculating here's one more possibility that makes sense to me. Perhaps this was an attempt to make a quieter running strike train (lantern pinions are noted for being noisy). So there were originally THREE gears on that arbor......the two brass ones and a fiber one sandwiched between the two of brass. Then over time the fiber one wore out and was removed or fell apart. So the one on eBay, someone positioned one of the pinion gears to line up and run much like John did using a two-gear sandwich?

RC

So, John, was that gear that you moved soldered or simply pressed on the arbor? Does it look like it was added or original?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    Well while we are speculating here's one more possibility that makes sense to me. Perhaps this was an attempt to make a quieter running strike train (lantern pinions are noted for being noisy). So there were originally THREE gears on that arbor......the two brass ones and a fiber one sandwiched between the two of brass. Then over time the fiber one wore out and was removed or fell apart. So the one on eBay, someone positioned one of the pinion gears to line up and run much like John did using a two-gear sandwich?

RC
    RC, I see your point, but why not just put a fiber gear only? What good would the two brass ones do?

Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: wow)

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    RC, I see your point, but why not just put a fiber gear only? What good would the two brass ones do?
    The fiber gear might have been laminated and being backed on each side would help prevent it from delaminating. It may also have been bonded (glued) to the brass gear faces to secure it from slipping. Heck, I don't know, just one more idea with no proof. But with two seemingly identical examples I find it hard to accept that this was not a factory design.

RC

Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue

Not soldered, just a press fit. Cant see why they went to all that trouble, the fan operation is silent. I did smooth them up with a jewelers file and paper.
    God started the clock in Gen. 1:13

Blog Entries

I still do not see this as being factory designed fly assembly. I see two examples of the same modification. However, I will happily concede if anyone can produce sufficient evidence to the contrary. Surely such a radical departure from standard manufacturing techniques would have been documented somewhere previously?
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: leeinv66)

Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    I still do not see this as being factory designed fly assembly. I see two examples of the same modification. However, I will happily concede if anyone can produce sufficient evidence to the contrary. Surely such a radical departure from standard manufacturing techniques would have been documented somewhere previously?
    Would be nice to know how many others there. Could be aftermarket modifications done a single shop? 80 years from now someone may run across a couple Hermle movements with ball bearings and wonder if they were factory modifications.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: R. Croswell)

We all shrug our shoulders and and get on with the next
    mysteries of life.
    Tinker Dwight