Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.



Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53
  1. #46

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: John P)

    Well while we are speculating here's one more possibility that makes sense to me. Perhaps this was an attempt to make a quieter running strike train (lantern pinions are noted for being noisy). So there were originally THREE gears on that arbor......the two brass ones and a fiber one sandwiched between the two of brass. Then over time the fiber one wore out and was removed or fell apart. So the one on eBay, someone positioned one of the pinion gears to line up and run much like John did using a two-gear sandwich?

    RC

  2. #47
    Registered User wow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: John P)

    So, John, was that gear that you moved soldered or simply pressed on the arbor? Does it look like it was added or original?

  3. #48
    Registered User wow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: John P)

    Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    Well while we are speculating here's one more possibility that makes sense to me. Perhaps this was an attempt to make a quieter running strike train (lantern pinions are noted for being noisy). So there were originally THREE gears on that arbor......the two brass ones and a fiber one sandwiched between the two of brass. Then over time the fiber one wore out and was removed or fell apart. So the one on eBay, someone positioned one of the pinion gears to line up and run much like John did using a two-gear sandwich?

    RC
    RC, I see your point, but why not just put a fiber gear only? What good would the two brass ones do?

  4. #49

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: wow)

    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    RC, I see your point, but why not just put a fiber gear only? What good would the two brass ones do?
    The fiber gear might have been laminated and being backed on each side would help prevent it from delaminating. It may also have been bonded (glued) to the brass gear faces to secure it from slipping. Heck, I don't know, just one more idea with no proof. But with two seemingly identical examples I find it hard to accept that this was not a factory design.

    RC

  5. #50
    Registered User John P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    572

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue

    Not soldered, just a press fit. Cant see why they went to all that trouble, the fan operation is silent. I did smooth them up with a jewelers file and paper.
    God started the clock in Gen. 1:13

  6. #51
    Moderator leeinv66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    7,891
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: John P)

    I still do not see this as being factory designed fly assembly. I see two examples of the same modification. However, I will happily concede if anyone can produce sufficient evidence to the contrary. Surely such a radical departure from standard manufacturing techniques would have been documented somewhere previously?
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

  7. #52

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: leeinv66)

    Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    I still do not see this as being factory designed fly assembly. I see two examples of the same modification. However, I will happily concede if anyone can produce sufficient evidence to the contrary. Surely such a radical departure from standard manufacturing techniques would have been documented somewhere previously?
    Would be nice to know how many others there. Could be aftermarket modifications done a single shop? 80 years from now someone may run across a couple Hermle movements with ball bearings and wonder if they were factory modifications.

    RC

  8. #53
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calif. USA
    Posts
    13,627

    Default Re: NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue (By: R. Croswell)

    We all shrug our shoulders and and get on with the next
    mysteries of life.
    Tinker Dwight

Similar Threads

  1. American Wringer Co label on New Haven clock ?
    By Robert Ling in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 10:24 PM
  2. New Haven Clock CoTambour 81-Any Info?
    By popeye in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
  3. new haven clock- statue finnish
    By Bob Brousseau in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 11:23 PM
  4. New Haven Clock
    By Wayne C. Anderson in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:36 PM
  5. Can you identify this New Haven clock?
    By timelyrestorations in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •