Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: hazel1014)

Hi hazel1014. Not really much of a debate going on. At least nothing that doesn't happen often here. Questions regarding sales and case-melts are pretty common.

There's nothing inappropriate about the karat gold case with an average movement in it. That is actually rather common, as it is the case that is seen by others, not the movement. The movement is a nice one, just not in the top tier of what Waltham was offering at the time. As far as wearing it as a necklace, well, it's sort of big for that purpose, but maybe it'll work for you. Good luck.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: MrRoundel)

Does it have family heirloom related values to you and your family?
    If so, fix it.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: PWfanatik)

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    Does it have family heirloom related values to you and your family?
    If so, fix it.
    That is indeed the important question.
    If the watch has sentimental / family history value for you, then go ahead and get it fixed, so you will have something worthy of passing onto the next generation when the time comes.
    Otherwise, as others have noted, it sure is tempting to install either an equivalent movement that's still running, or simply the highest-grade movement you can lay hands on.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: topspin)

If it is a family heirloom money will not matter as you will not be selling it
    Getting it fixed means you will see and hear it as the original owner would
    Would it be safe round you neck?
    If the necklace is long enough for you to be able to see the face would it be shaken around too much if you dance?

Registered user.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed?

Sixteen-size watches, such as your watch, were intended to be carried in a gentleman's watch pocket and are much too large and heavy to be worn exposed, hanging on a necklace chain.

Any time you bent forward you would have to hold on to the watch to keep it from swinging away from your body and banging into something like a piece of furniture or other hard object, possibly breaking the crystal or denting the case, or worse.

Since your Waltham watch has no shock protection, any impact could cause damage, such as a broken or bent balance staff pivot and/or jewel(s), resulting in a costly repair.

Larry Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 04-20-2017 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Who needs a reason for editing? <];>)