Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I get this watch fixed?

Hello all,

So I have this pocket watch that seems like it might have been put together as it is now.

Here's what I know -

It does not currently run
    The Dial is signed Waltham, and it has a crack in the bottom right quadrant, from right under the three to just past the 6
    The case is signed Roy, has the 14K mark on it, and has a serial # of 288238 - the serial number is on the dust cover as well
    the movement is signed Waltham and has a serial # of 14397179, and indicates that there is 15 jewels.

Is it worth it to have the watch fixed?

Here's pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	491.2 KB 
ID:	340454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham 3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	547.3 KB 
ID:	340455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham Case.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	340456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham Works.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	340457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waltham Dust Cover.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	655.2 KB 
ID:	340458

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: hazel1014)

We cant discuss values, its really up to you if you wish to pay to have it repaired. Maybe look at past sales of a watch like this on Ebay.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: Kevin W.)

That's a solid gold case, I'd personally remove that movement and install a nice clean running 21 jewel movement.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: NC Plumber)

If case is original to watch are we not supposed to try and keep them original ? just saying, I would repair or have it repaired.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: geo.ulrich)

This is an oversimplification but....

If you are looking just to sell it, it does not matter if you fix it.
    If you want to keep it, get it fixed.

Rob

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: musicguy)

While the movement is nice, it is just a medium quality 16s Waltham. The movement is much more common than cases in that condition, especially solid karat gold cases. The Roy Watch Case Co. made nice solid cases, with many housing Waltham movements.

The watch market, especially common pocket watches, is a bit on the soft side right now. At the same time, the price of gold is relatively strong, and many are tempted to sell their watches for the scrap value in the case. We in the watch collecting world, cringe at how often this happens. It's a real shame that such objects of beauty, and many hours of craftsmen's labor, get converted to a mere commodity. This destruction tends to drive up the price of existing cases, especially the gold ones. Heck, even nice gold-filled cases are getting premium prices these days.

Do you, the watch owner, owe the watch-world anything? No. Is it immoral to sell nice gold cases for the scrap value? No. Do most of us here find it repugnant? Yes. But that's because we know how rare they are becoming and how much work went into watches, their mechanisms and cases.

It is hard to say whether you'll get much more than scrap value for a watch like that. What I would suggest is that you do your homework by looking for good comparable sales of complete watches. Otherwise you might sell your watch, and yourself, short. Bear in mind that the trend in gold prices seems to be up, and you may really benefit financially by holding onto it for a while no matter what.

You could also do as suggested, and look for a nicer movement to put in the case. This MAY help fetch a nice premium. While historical-purist collectors don't like the idea of this, it can be practical as a financial move. This is especially true since there are so many nice bare movements out there that have had their original, probably karat gold, cases melted. So really, from an historical standpoint, it's pretty likely that by housing a nice, say, Waltham Riverside Maximus movement in that case, you are really just returning the watch to nearer its original state. Tough call, and hard to prove regardless. If you do such a thing, you could always endeavor to keep the original movement with the case wherever it ends up. This may help preserve the historical record, for what that ends up being worth. Good luck on your decisions. Cheers.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed?

Excellent response MrRoundel.

I say get it repaired, when you hold it in your hand, running again, it will be good for your soul.
    Last edited by onsite; 04-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: NC Plumber)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Plumber View Post
    That's a solid gold case, I'd personally remove that movement and install a nice clean running 21 jewel movement.
    I agree. What guarantee is there that the movement came new in that case? Instead of having that movement repaired I would spend the money on the nicest movement I could afford for it.

******EDIT***********
    Last edited by musicguy; 04-17-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: musicguy)

Rob,
    The OP did not say anything about selling the watch in this thread. Note that discussion of watches that are for sale is not allowed per message board rules.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

OK

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Rob,
    The OP did not say anything about selling the watch in this thread. Note that discussion of watches that are for sale is not allowed per message board rules.
    Sorry, that may have been partially my fault. I mentioned the potential sale because of how the question was framed, i.e. “Should I this watch fixed?, which later was phrased, "Is it worth getting this watch fixed?" The poster may have no intention at all in selling the watch. My post was of more of a preemptive nature. Cheers.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: Accutronica)

How can you tell it is solid gold vs gold filled?

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: kd8tzc)

Quote Originally Posted by kd8tzc View Post
    How can you tell it is solid gold vs gold filled?
    The Roy case company only made solid cases. Plus it is marked as karat gold.

Default Re: Should I get this watch fixed? (By: MrRoundel)

So sorry to have gotten this debate started! I did post the question of sales on the sale forum - here I was talking more of doing the case and/or movement justice, especially because I really didn't realize what I have, in that the Roy case was solid, or that the Waltham movement was common.

If you go on the sale forum, you will see that I probably will get the movement repaired and see about getting a case more in line with the movement and possibly wear it as a necklace -

So much knowledge in one place....boggles the mind!