Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ST 8 day OG strikes too fast (By: Jasons34)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    RC I'll weigh the time one tonight and even swap them. But if you look at my first picture of the closer up shot you'll notice the weight is tapered going up about a third of the way and then it looks like someone went and wrapped it to add weight and then there is a cap on the top that meets up with that added part. I'm not sure if that was an after thought maybe to help the train along or if the weight belongs the way it is which I highly doubt. When looking at Merritts and timesavers they have weights in the 8lbs range and then at 6 3/4lbs range. So that has me confused at to which one goes where. Not only that but if I could shave away some of the weight is that even possible?
    The important thing on the strike side, as stated earlier, is that you have enough weight to start the train moving before the hammer begins to raise. If the hammer starts to raise during the 'warning run' the normal weight may not start the strike. That's the first thing to check before playing with the weights. If the gears move a little before the hammer starts to raise you are good to go. Just put enough weight on the strike side so it doesn't strike like a machine gun. It is not unusual to find where the original weights have been lost and where someone has added weight to compensate to a clock that has other issues as a way to avoid repair and keep it going. 7 to 8 lbs. should be ok if everything else is in reasonable condition. Do let us know what the time side weight is when you get it off.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: ST 8 day OG strikes too fast (By: R. Croswell)

So I removed the time weight and it weighs the same as the strike one. So are these supposed to weigh the exact same? Also is there anything I can do to the weight to make it lighter? As I mentioned before someone added to the weight so it's not tapered anymore. That "coating" is not solid on the one side cuz when you tap on it you can hear that it's loose. Also what kind of clock would use a weight of this size diameter at the base?

I wouldn't think to much about what you have there but what you NEED. Back too putting on a 5# weight to see what happens. Heck you can make that clock strikes just about any way you want by changing the weight, hammer lift, and hammer spring tension.
    Willie X

So I removed the time weight and it weighs the same as the strike one. So are these supposed to weigh the exact same? Also is there anything I can do to the weight to make it lighter? As I mentioned before someone added to the weight so it's not tapered anymore. That "coating" is not solid on the one side cuz when you tap on it you can hear that it's loose. Also what kind of clock would use a weight of this size diameter at the base?
    I agree with Willie, I think you are overthinking this. The original weights were rough iron castings and 'exact' wasn't a concern. Typically one side may be a bit lighter but don't be concerned about that. As long as the weight cord doesn't rub the weight the shape is OK. God only knows what material was added, perhaps lead. "Lead wiping" was technique used by plumbers years ago. One way to test things is to get a soda (or adult beverage if you prefer) can, rig a wire 'bail' at the top and fill it with shot, nails, or whatever junk you have until you have about 5 lbs. for the strike side and keep adding until it strikes right. Then you will know what weight to shop for.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: ST 8 day OG strikes too fast (By: R. Croswell)

My only concern is wear caused by too much weight. The speed of the strike only concerned me due to wear. It's like putting a chime weight on the strike side. It causes a speed up in the strike and could cause premature wear. If wear won't be an issue here than I'll let it be

My only concern is wear caused by too much weight. The speed of the strike only concerned me due to wear. It's like putting a chime weight on the strike side. It causes a speed up in the strike and could cause premature wear. If wear won't be an issue here than I'll let it be
    The more the weight the more the wear. If you keep the weight at around 8 lbs. then I don't think you will have "excessive" wear but certainly a little more than if you could run it on 6 or 7 lbs. If it is striking "too fast" and the fan is OK then the weight has to be more than normal even if it is not what one would consider "excessive" from the wear standpoint. Do keep it properly oiled.

RC