Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA

Hello,
    I am new here, and see a lot of knowledge on the boards, am learning a lot about pocket watches, but still quite a newbie...I recently acquired one from a man who walked into my store and wanted to sell one to me...it has the name Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA on the dial face, which appears to be porcelain, it is in a sterling case, and is key wound, it runs perfectly...and is in very good condition other than a few dings on the outside of the case bottom...I researched the internet but can't find anything on this maker, so wondering if anyone here has ever heard of him? I would appreciate any info if any has any on Robert Applegate Co...thanks in advance, Bill

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA (By: sanbil1)

Robert Applegate was likely a jeweler or retailer. Some pictures of the movement and markings on the case will help us identify who made it and when.

Default Re: Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA (By: richiec)

Thank you , I tried to load pictures, but was unable too, the "Select File" button doesn't appear in the box when I click on the camera image to upload...its just a blank box...on the works it says the same name Robert Applegate & Co, Windsor MA, and on the back of the inside cover it says American Time Keeper N6180...has all the jewels, and a serial number on the case...I will keep trying to figure out the image trouble and why I am not seeing the select button..

Default Re: Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA (By: sanbil1)

The "Gold Book" aka "American Pocket Watches...Beginning to End..." by Ehrhardt and Meggers lists an 18 size Swiss watch with 7 jewels as having been made as a private label for this jeweler. It is quite possible he had other private label watches made for him but this is the only one I have seen.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA (By: John Cote)

Thank you John & Richiec for the information...did the book happen to mention around what time or era he was a jeweler? Am trying to determine the age of it..still can't figure out why I can't post a picture, maybe because I am newly joined? not sure..thanks again I appreciate any info!

Default Re: Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA (By: John Cote)

ok finally was able to upload some pics of the Applegate pocket watch!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	340408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2267.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	340409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	340410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	340411  

This is exactly the type of watch described in "The Gold Book." It is a 7 (or so) jewel Swiss watch maed for Applegate. I would put the date of the watch at somewhere between 1860-1880 but others might have a better guess. I doubt a watch like this would have been made much later than that. It appears to be in original condition.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...