Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: Sooth)

Thanks for these pictures as well, Sooth. Now we're really making progress!
    George

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: George Nelson)

I'm working from a Mac laptop and will try the Advanced solution next time. Thanks!

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: PatH)

You are most welcome, Pat. Hope it works!

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Thanks, Sooth. I posted under the wooden works category, but am interested in ANY original crank-type keys! You're the best!

George
    I have some original tower clock winding cranks. Are those suitable for this thread?

Frank

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: FDelGreco)

Hi, Frank

Absolutely! The more information we can present, the better. I'm guessing that VERY few people have ever seen a tower clock winding crank, me included. Looking forward to the pictures.

Gratefully,

George

Can't tell you what this was for originally, but I use it for my Comtoise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crank for comtoise.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	341427  

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: Dave T)

Thanks, Dave! A truly old crank for sure! Soon, we'll have enough pictures of good, old cranks to have a good reference. Your contribution is very much appreciated. By the way, is the crank brass, steel or something else?

Gratefully yours,

George

Just an update. It's POSSIBLE that the Daniel Pratt key is indeed original to the clock. I browsed through old photos, and the key did come with the clock. See attached photos.

Name:	DanielPrattJr01.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	341612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DanielPrattJr05.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	341613  

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: Sooth)

It well could have, Sooth. the key certainly appears to be the proper vintage. Thanks for the update! Interesting clock, by the way, especially the columns. Have you restored it yet?

George

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks

Hi, All,

A request for help from all of you woodworks experts out there, please. Recently, Jim DuBois and I were discussing original winding cranks, and it made me curious as to the different ORIGINAL varieties out there. I'm quite interested in amassing a photographic collection of known original (or, in other words, PERIOD) woodworks cranks. Once complete, I plan on posting here for all to reference.

It is my hope to make it easy for everyone to identify a true, period crank from an old reproduction or mass-produced replacement. While I believe it will be impossible to truly guarantee that one particular crank style is original to any one wood works clock, unless we get several identical cranks, all from, for example, Riley Whiting or Eli Terry clocks, I still believe this image collection might be useful and interesting!

I strongly suspect that the different makers bought their cranks from whomever they could get them the most inexpensively from, so consistency might not be evident. But, if we get a large enough database, further research might be able to identify a specific supplier.

Anyway, I'm thinking that this would be a fun and helpful project. So, clock collecting friends, please consider posting pictures within this thread of your original, period winding cranks. Along with your good, close-up picture on a white background, please provide the following information:

Clock maker's name/style of clock?
    Eight Day or 30 Hour wood movement?
    Any pertinent facts as to why you believe it is original?

Once we get a good number of pictures, I'll condense and format the information into an easy-to-read presentation for all to reference. Please understand that by providing a picture, you are also giving me permission to use your picture, strictly for non-commercial use within the N.A.W.C.C environment.

I've attached a picture to get us started:

Clock Maker's name: Eli Terry & Sons
    30 Hour Wood Movement
    Pertinent Facts: Claimed to be one family owned clock throughout lifetime before my acquisition. Clock is seemingly all original: weights, glass, pendulum bob, etc.

The more pictures we get, the more useful this project may turn out to be.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I sincerely hope we get a multitude of pictures. Let the photography begin!

Warmest regards,

George Nelson
    Speaking of clock winding cranks (not of keys for clocks or watches for the moment).

Most of the "cranks" so far posted were used to wind many different types of weight driven clocks ranging from the humble ogee to ww to banjos and mirror clocks.

These clocks are rather peripatetic. Typically over the years they have passed through the hands of multiple caretakers by means of various venues of acquisition (private sales, estate sales, auctions, shops, Marts, etc).

These cranks are quite common and ubiquitous. Obviously they were made in great numbers.

Given all this, I believe it is unlikely that a small common easily replaceable thing like a crank would follow the majority of these wandering clocks. I think in the absence of ironclad information, the claim of an original key or crank for most of these clocks is generally unsupportable.

Furthermore, with these types of clocks, it doesn't make much difference. I feel the same is true of most pendulum bobs. It's nice when either or both are a nice "period" or correct one, but unlike with some other categories of clocks, it probably doesn't make much difference here.

I also wonder if when the mass produced clocks like ww were originally purchased, can we even say for sure that a crank was provided at that time? If so, was it from a supply of generic cranks that happened to fit that clock and not specific to it? So in that context, what does "original" mean?

Yes, I have seen some wonderful cranks that were reportedly with a particular clock for as long as anyone can remember. Sometimes these were works of art in themselves with beautiful handles of wood or bone (can't say ivory) and where the metal parts were shaped or decorated. I would also suppose that the winding crank that accompanies a tower clock would have a greater likelihood of being original. But, unlike the peripatetic mass produced clocks like ww, the tower clocks have pretty much been in 1 place for most of their existence so they probably have a better chance of retaining their cranks.

Just the thoughts of an old crank.

RM
    Last edited by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1; 04-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Dear Old Crank,

Your thoughts and information are much appreciated! By using the term "original", I really intended "period", and should have used that word instead. I know that it is completely impossible (in almost every case) to guarantee that a particular crank goes with a particular clock, unless actually branded in some way. I'll ask a moderator to change the title of the thread to: "Known Period Woodworks..." to clarify my request.

By the way, I started the thread because I had TWO sellers at different times tell me that their obviously newly produced cranks were original to their 1820s era clocks. One seller claimed the key was an extra, packed away for almost 200 years. The second seller claimed he was an "accomplished metal worker", and had refinished the crank to be as new. Both had the size number stamped on them, and the one from the "accomplished metal worker" also had "India" stamped on the barrel. Sheesh!

Anyway, I'll PM a moderator to see if the title change can be made to avoid further comfusion.

Thanks, as always, RM, for your insightful and knowledgeable thoughts! I really have a hard time thinking of you as an "old crank"!

Warmest regards,

George

Given the rather wide ranging remit now given to this thread perhaps I could play?

Most of my clocks are not wound with keys or cranks as they use the Huygens system, however here are cranks for three that do.

Name:	DSC_0092.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	341655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	341656  
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hi, Nick,

Thanks for "playing"! Those are attractive cranks, and with obvious age to them. Thanks for taking the time to photograph them for us. Are they from longcase clocks?

Also, forgive my ignorance, as my collecting activities are mostly limited to clocks of American manufacture. Can you tell me please what a Huygens system is? I'm guessing we would call it an "endless chain" over on this side of the pond. Anywhere near correct?

Thanks,

George

Dear Old Crank,

Your thoughts and information are much appreciated! By using the term "original", I really intended "period", and should have used that word instead. I know that it is completely impossible (in almost every case) to guarantee that a particular crank goes with a particular clock, unless actually branded in some way. I'll ask a moderator to change the title of the thread to: "Known Period Woodworks..." to clarify my request.

By the way, I started the thread because I had TWO sellers at different times tell me that their obviously newly produced cranks were original to their 1820s era clocks. One seller claimed the key was an extra, packed away for almost 200 years. The second seller claimed he was an "accomplished metal worker", and had refinished the crank to be as new. Both had the size number stamped on them, and the one from the "accomplished metal worker" also had "India" stamped on the barrel. Sheesh!

Anyway, I'll PM a moderator to see if the title change can be made to avoid further comfusion.

Thanks, as always, RM, for your insightful and knowledgeable thoughts! I really have a hard time thinking of you as an "old crank"!

Warmest regards,

George
    Thanks.

No need to change the name of the thread.

A good example of the BS that some sellers will use to try to make a sale!

People may not like what I have to say, but I will never yank their crank.

RM

Hi, Nick,

Thanks for "playing"! Those are attractive cranks, and with obvious age to them. Thanks for taking the time to photograph them for us. Are they from longcase clocks?

Also, forgive my ignorance, as my collecting activities are mostly limited to clocks of American manufacture. Can you tell me please what a Huygens system is? I'm guessing we would call it an "endless chain" over on this side of the pond. Anywhere near correct?

Thanks,

George
    Yes,to both,endless drive system not limited to chain. Some of mine are rope. The cranks are for longcase, currently used on clocks from 1705-1730 but they aren't that old.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.