Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM,

I LOVE your sense of humor!

George

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: George Nelson)

George, it seems you missed the link I posted to the restored Daniel Pratt wooden works. Yes it's nice and unusual, but it is hardly unique. I have seen the same "cost effective" triangular columns on several clocks, sometimes in Bird's eye as well. One of the other makers to use this style was David Dutton. I'm sure there's a third but the name escapes me at the moment.

Daniel Pratt Before/During/After:
    http://jcclocks.blogspot.ca/2013/12/...n-part_31.html
    http://jcclocks.blogspot.ca/2013/12/...part_6675.html
    http://jcclocks.blogspot.ca/2013/12/...part_4238.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC110153.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	341674  

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: Sooth)

Thanks, Sooth. I did indeed somehow miss that post. Great clock! Thanks, too, for the near step-by-step pictorial of your restoration process. Outstanding!

George

Here are original tower clock cranks:

Top one is from a small Scottish tower clock by Ross & Son of Glasgow, 1894. The square hole in the crank was made the traditional way: a small hole drilled in each corner, followed by a large hole in the center; then the excess was filed out. You can still see the remnants of the curves of the small and large holes on the flats. Length of flats: 0.45”.

The second crank is German from a “#12” quarter-striking tower clock by C. F. Rochlitz of Berlin, late 1800s. Original paint. Flats are 0.425”.

The third crank is from an English time-only tower clock by J. Smith & Sons, Clerkenwell, ca. 1880s. Flats are 0.495”.

The bottom crank is from a time-only flatbed English tower clock, ca. 1880s. Maker unknown. Flats are 0.55”. Note that it has lost its original wood handle.

Frank

Name:	CIMG4543.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	341762  

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Thanks, Dave! A truly old crank for sure! Soon, we'll have enough pictures of good, old cranks to have a good reference. Your contribution is very much appreciated. By the way, is the crank brass, steel or something else?

Gratefully yours,

George
    Thanks George, I'd say it's steel, definitely not brass. The picture appears more blue than it actually is. A friend of mine has a whole box of old cranks. I just picked out the one that best suited this clock.

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: FDelGreco)

Frank,

Perfect! Thanks so much! Those cranks really have some age, and I appreciate the "mini training course" on how they were made. a superior addition to this thread, and much appreciated.

George

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Dave,

Thanks for the additional info- much appreciated. Slowly, this thread is getting somewhere!

George

Here is a likely to be period and most likely original to this mirror clock.....of course the question becomes which one of the two cranks is the original or period, if either is? And both appear to be quite old. I would suspect the crank with the turned handle to be correct and the wire handled crank to be a bit later. Why? We have seen a number of the wire handled cranks like the one in the photo, but the turned handle crank seems to be more like one might see in a period mirror clock. Educated guess? Nah, just a plain old guess....

Name:	18426465_1696867067009100_128037930_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	343393  

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: Jim DuBois)

Hi, Jim,

Thanks for your contribution- I was beginning to think that this thread had died and gone to heaven. All parts are quite interesting, and the cranks definitely appear to be period. And Jim, your guesses are most certainly educated. A man with your experience cannot simply make a "plain old guess' in my book!

Thanks again,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Here are 4 older cranks. The bottom crank is most likely the oldest and may be period, as could be the 2nd one from the bottom. The other two have age, but they are much like those available for the last 75 years or so also.....

Name:	20170429_085019.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	343544  

Hi, Jim

Thanks for the most helpful post! It is most advantageous to be able to compare 'old' cranks with truly period cranks. This has been very, very helpful.

As a brief aside here, some have written to me about the use of steel or iron in the handles of the cranks, rather than them being all brass. I believe that brass would normally be far too soft to use in the handles, especially in the case of winding 8 day clocks. So, the use of different metals in the cranks is not an indicator of a late model or reproduction crank at all. As we can see in Jim's postings, alternate metal handles are the norm, and have been employed since 'birth'.

Best to all,

George

all of mine have iron cranks with brass spigots to fit over the winding arbours riveted to the crank arm, and turned wooden swivel knobs to hold and turn.

I'm guessing they are 200+ years old, but I don't know what a 17th century crank would look like, does anybody have an early one?
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: novicetimekeeper)

Novicetimekeeper,

Your cranks, (pictured on page two of this thread) are so attractive and a really good indicator of their time. It almost makes me want to collect several of examples like yours just to have! To me, they are almost stately in appearance.

It would indeed be very nice to see an image or two of 17th century cranks. I'm guessing they will be a bit on the ornate side and quite impressive. Bring'em on!!!

Best to everyone,

George

Default Re: Known ORIGINAL Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks

here is an example of an early style crank. It is in an early (1817-1820) wood works clock currently. May be the same period as the clock. No other photos available of the crank right now.

Name:	psx4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	344687  

And here is another, from steamer471's new old banjo clock

Name:	banjo crankx.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	344856  

Default Re: Known PERIOD Woodworks Clocks Winding Cranks (By: George Nelson)

Over the weekend a new-to-me clock, followed me home, like I needed another clock! It was found at an estate sale of a 96 year old lady who received the clock from her father-in-law. It appears to be quite original and untouched. It has no broken teeth, no bushing wear, in nice condition but dirty. The reverse painted tablet maybe a replacement but is also very old. It is an Elisha Hotchkiss half column and splat. This is my first Hotchkiss clock and the winding crank is different from all my other "original" cranks. Therefore, with the time it has remained in the same family and clock condition I think it could possibly be "original".

Name:	IMAG1811.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	350190