Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855?

Just purchased an Ansonia Ogee at auction . Had to be completely redone. Has a red bird or looks to be a scarlet tanager on the reverse tablet with gold and prussian blue background.All glass original. The bod that came with it a a plain brass and about 1 1/2" in diameter. I noticed some very ,perfectly , engraved #'s around the outside border on the front edge of the bob. They are;090-20-3540..Looks like a social security # to me! Perhaps someone's idea of owner identification? Have never seen this before..Any ideas--The same # is written in pencil on the back board of the case but I find nit no where's else..

Default Re: #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855? (By: time is money)

That is a valid social security number issued in New York state. It is not easy to tell when this one was issued but the 090-20-xxxx series was issued sometime after the 1930s

Quote Originally Posted by time is money View Post
    Just purchased an Ansonia Ogee at auction . Had to be completely redone. Has a red bird or looks to be a scarlet tanager on the reverse tablet with gold and prussian blue background.All glass original. The bod that came with it a a plain brass and about 1 1/2" in diameter. I noticed some very ,perfectly , engraved #'s around the outside border on the front edge of the bob. They are;090-20-3540..Looks like a social security # to me! Perhaps someone's idea of owner identification? Have never seen this before..Any ideas--The same # is written in pencil on the back board of the case but I find nit no where's else..
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi

Default Re: #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855? (By: time is money)

Back in the 1980s the general population was encouraged to put their SSN on all of there valuable possessions . Presumably to have a better chance of getting there property back it were stolen. Many police departments would lend you a carbide scriber for this purpous. Sounds wierd today but it was the thing to do back then.
    Willie X

Default Re: #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855? (By: Willie X)

I always scrambled mine when I did it - and kept a note of how I scrambled it to show the police. I was never fond of giving it out. Now it seems there is no secrecy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    Back in the 1980s the general population was encouraged to put their SSN on all of there valuable possessions . Presumably to have a better chance of getting there property back it were stolen. Many police departments would lend you a carbide scriber for this purpous. Sounds wierd today but it was the thing to do back then.
    Willie X
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi

If you "scrambled" your number you would have never been notified
    Willie X

Default Re: #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855? (By: Willie X)

When you report something stolen you give them the number you put on the item for ID - they don't really care what it is. You just need documentation about the number - I still do that with some of my items that I take camping, but not on my clocks

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    If you "scrambled" your number you would have never been notified
    Willie X

Default Re: #'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855? (By: THTanner)

Kind of assumed it was a social--Seems kind of ridiculous to put it on a Bob as they can be replaced easily.Perhaps on the actual movement or the bottom of the case. Interesting though....In N.Y.S. back in the 80's the N.Y.S. Police had a program known as "Project Identi. Find" They even loaned you an engraver! Funny thing is I mentioned the program to a trooper that was investigating a local break in a couple of years ago and he had never heard of it.. At one time I went crazy engraving all of my hand tools...But I would never put my social ,permanently, on anything...Thanks for the comments and interest!