Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Cuckoo Disassembly

First time working on cuckoos. I need info on how to disassemble it. See photo.

The 2 bellows boxes are GLUED (blue arrow) to the sides of the thin plywood case. In order to access the 4 mounting screws (red arrows) and remove the movement, it appears that I must pry apart these 2 wooden glue joints holding the bellows, then remove the bellows. This seems very destructive to me and likely to split the plywood sides. Is there an alternative, or a way to "soften" the glue? From a blob that oozed out just below the bellows, it appears to be carpenters wood glue .
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-13 17.25.43.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	340115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170413_180902.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	340116  
    Last edited by gocush; 04-13-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly (By: gocush)

Yes, the whistles are glued to the case on many newer cuckoos.
    To remove them use a small thin (but dull) knife, start at the bottom and when you get the blade in between the whistle and case a bit, twist it and the whistle will pop right off. Sometimes it will separate cleanly, sometimes a small area of the plywood case will pull out.
    I always clean this glued joint as well as I can, so the whistle can be replaced using the traditional single screw flat head wood screw and small brad/nail.
    Hope this helps, Willie X

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly (By: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    Yes, the whistles are glued to the case on many newer cuckoos.
    To remove them use a small thin (but dull) knife, start at the bottom and when you get the blade in between the whistle and case a bit, twist it and the whistle will pop right off. Sometimes it will separate cleanly, sometimes a small area of the plywood case will pull out.
    I always clean this glued joint as well as I can, so the whistle can be replaced using the traditional single screw flat head wood screw and small brad/nail.
    Hope this helps, Willie X
    As above. Yes.

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly (By: roughbarked)

To remove the bellows a knife as suggested works well. I use a narrow putty blade which is like the knife. Another help is to use a heat gun or torch to heat the blade which will allow it to soften the glue faster and generally pops off without pulling any plywood off the case.

Hope both ideas help you. Jay

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly (By: James Holloway)

I just had one of these. The bellows popped out when I braced a kitchen knife against the bottom of the case and levered the sharp edge of the blade between bellows and case. I found it helpful to mark the positions of the whistles so they go back in the same place.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly (By: kinsler33)

a. Pry the whistles off.
    b. Remount them with the screw and the nail.

I've never seen serious damage to a cuckoo clock by prying off glued whistles.

Is what I think.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Cuckoo Disassembly

It's possible that your doesn't have the screw and pin that has been mentioned. If not, it's just a small screw that goes through the case into the bellows tube roughly half way between the top and bottom ( a bit lower might be better), and a small pin inserted the same way at the upper end to keep it from moving. Don't use glue when re-installing.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.