Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper

I want to laser print on to water slide paper a clock dial. I can try to create my own using OpenOffice DRAWING program but its tedious work. I am a little surprised that I cannot find for free existing DRAWING templates on the net. So can anyone advise where free templates might be are that are compatible with OpenOffice DRAW and which are editable. I don't feel like paying thirty bucks that Shutterstock ask for despite initially being advertised for free.

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: dorsetman)

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
    I want to laser print on to water slide paper a clock dial. I can try to create my own using OpenOffice DRAWING program but its tedious work. I am a little surprised that I cannot find for free existing DRAWING templates on the net. So can anyone advise where free templates might be are that are compatible with OpenOffice DRAW and which are editable. I don't feel like paying thirty bucks that Shutterstock ask for despite initially being advertised for free.

i'm not familiar with openoffice draw, but have seen many tutorials for creating clock dial art on youtube for photoshop and illustrator, with illustrator (i.e., vector-based graphics) being the preferred choice.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: dorsetman)

You may have better luck finding some nice ones for free if you join Pintrest. It is a place that people share a lot of art and other graphics, but you often have to be a member to download other's work. You might also check with Shutterfly regarding laser printing on photo quality paper. They also will print your art onto glass now so you can make high quality painted tablet glass.

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: THTanner)

Thanks everyone for replying.
    I have found a good selection of dial drawings admittedly JPEG's and not Vector but they were good.
    this is the address:
    https://clipartfest.com/download/3b0...cbf0db3ca.html

hmm... i don't really like those canned dial graphics myself, but i'm a photoshop guy and prefer to roll my own.

here's the artwork i mocked up for an older gentleman i know in sacramento who hand-paints dials... the ghosted rings match engraved rings on the 8" pendulum bob that came from an auto-wind clock. i've included the finished result, as well, which was painted directly into the dial pan. the hands have been swapped out multiple times... these were first-pass.

good luck with your project!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68_dial.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	340264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68_dial_done_closeup.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	340265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	340266  

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: bruce linde)

Smike,

Quite impressive work! While I have a copy of Photoshop, the ins and outs of the program have always eluded me. One day, I'll buckle down and watch a few "how-to" videos on YouTube. I'd LOVE to be able to recreate my own clock dials like you can!

Best,

George

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: George Nelson)

credit where credit is due... i visualized (and mocked up) the design, but ben beede of sacramento painted the dial and made it real.

i really should have done the initial work in illustrator, but illustrator scares me! 8-)

photoshop is a an amazing and powerful tool. if you don't have a recent copy, you can try 'gimp', which is essentially an open source version that works on all platforms. i don't know that the keyboard shortcuts match across the board, but all of the programs are all about the math... and all of that math has long been figured out.

thx, though, for the compliment. 8-)

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: bruce linde)

Thanks for the heads up about GIMP. Does Mr Beede accept work requests from other folks as well, or is he just a friend that you call on? I need faces restored or created from time to time.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    credit where credit is due... i visualized (and mocked up) the design, but ben beede of sacramento painted the dial and made it real.

i really should have done the initial work in illustrator, but illustrator scares me! 8-)

photoshop is a an amazing and powerful tool. if you don't have a recent copy, you can try 'gimp', which is essentially an open source version that works on all platforms. i don't know that the keyboard shortcuts match across the board, but all of the programs are all about the math... and all of that math has long been figured out.

thx, though, for the compliment. 8-)
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper (By: THTanner)

Ben and his wife paint dials. He is very old-school and does not have email… I call him and then send written instructions by snail mail. I will PM you his contact information.