Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gustav Becker clock

Hi all
    The bangs correctly until it gets to 7 to strike 8 bangs. And so on till it gets to 1 when it works correctly.
    I took our the hour hand and put it on 8 . When it got to 9 it banged 10 times.
    Pl help. It's a grand fathers clock.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Gustav Becker clock (By: mariosthegreat)

Quote Originally Posted by mariosthegreat View Post
    Hi all
    The bangs correctly until it gets to 7 to strike 8 bangs. And so on till it gets to 1 when it works correctly.
    I took our the hour hand and put it on 8 . When it got to 9 it banged 10 times.
    Pl help. It's a grand fathers clock.
    My experience is that the problem is most likely the strike rack tail is not adjusted properly, allowing the gathering pallet to miss pick-up of a rack tooth at the 7:00 position. Moving the hour hand will not solve the problem as you have discovered.

Adjustment of the part will require removal of the hands and dial, then adjustment of the rack tail to ensure that a rack tooth is picked up on every half-rotation of the gathering pallet. Note the gathering pallet has two lifting pins so each pin should pick up a rack tooth with each half rotation. I am attaching a photo of a GB grandfather weight driven time & strike movement that should be similar to yours. The parts I have described are labeled for your information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2498524 Mvmt Rack.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	340038

Note that the rack tail is not in the correct position in the photo; it should be below the snail with the position pin underneath the snail. The rack tail is adjustable at the center where it is mounted on a post, there should be a locking screw that can be loosened and then the tail moved slightly to adjust the position of the rack teeth to allow the gathering pallet to pick up one tooth on each pin. The tail is a friction fit so it may take a little force to move.

It will be appreciated if you could post photos of your clock including a full view of the front, close-ups of the dial and back plate of the movement, and also a photo of the gong that will be mounted in the back of the case. We can accurately date your clock from the movement serial number and possibly provide a model number for the case if it has been illustrated in one of the GB sale catalogs we have available.

I agree completely with John's description of the likely problem. Just had one that needed just a minor adjustment to strike rack to stop mis strike on 1-4 o'clock. I would add that you verify the strike rack freely moves and lands the same each time. Also inspect the rack teeth for condition. Also that the problem is always in the same hours, before making adjustments to rack. Joe

Default Re: Gustav Becker clock (By: klokwiz)

Also check that the little pins on the gathering pallet are not bent in such a way that they don't always catch every tooth the same.

Quote Originally Posted by klokwiz View Post
    I agree completely with John's description of the likely problem. Just had one that needed just a minor adjustment to strike rack to stop mis strike on 1-4 o'clock. I would add that you verify the strike rack freely moves and lands the same each time. Also inspect the rack teeth for condition. Also that the problem is always in the same hours, before making adjustments to rack. Joe
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Gustav Becker clock (By: John Hubby)

Many thanks. I'll post photos as required as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by klokwiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    My experience is that the problem is most likely the strike rack tail is not adjusted properly, allowing the gathering pallet to miss pick-up of a rack tooth at the 7:00 position. Moving the hour hand will not solve the problem as you have discovered.

Adjustment of the part will require removal of the hands and dial, then adjustment of the rack tail to ensure that a rack tooth is picked up on every half-rotation of the gathering pallet. Note the gathering pallet has two lifting pins so each pin should pick up a rack tooth with each half rotation. I am attaching a photo of a GB grandfather weight driven time & strike movement that should be similar to yours. The parts I have described are labeled for your information.

Note that the rack tail is not in the correct position in the photo; it should be below the snail with the position pin underneath the snail. The rack tail is adjustable at the center where it is mounted on a post, there should be a locking screw that can be loosened and then the tail moved slightly to adjust the position of the rack teeth to allow the gathering pallet to pick up one tooth on each pin. The tail is a friction fit so it may take a little force to move.

It will be appreciated if you could post photos of your clock including a full view of the front, close-ups of the dial and back plate of the movement, and also a photo of the gong that will be mounted in the back of the case. We can accurately date your clock from the movement serial number and possibly provide a model number for the case if it has been illustrated in one of the GB sale catalogs we have available.

Name:	IMG_20170414_130825.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	340234

Name:	IMG_20170414_130825.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	340234

Name:	IMG_20170414_131254.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	340235

Name:	IMG_20170414_130848.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	340236

I'll send you the number on the back plate soon.

Name:	IMG_20170415_165950.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	347.6 KB 
ID:	340306

I've successfully repaired it. There were more than one problem.
    I'd like to thank you with the other friends who did share.

Waiting for more information on my clock, please.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Waiting for more information on my clock, please.
    Mario, thanks for the additional movement photos, those are quite helpful and I will provide a date and other information in my next post. Do you have a case for the clock? I had asked for photos of the case, also the gong so we can do a complete documentation.

Ok. I'll send you what you want.
    Many thanks.

Mario, thanks for the additional movement photos, those are quite helpful and I will provide a date and other information in my next post. Do you have a case for the clock? I had asked for photos of the case, also the gong so we can do a complete documentation.

Name:	IMG_20170418_135151.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	340613