Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Oils and oilers

Blog Entries

Default Oils and oilers

Hi again,
    I acquired the old stock of oils and oilers that had come from a jewelry store closeout.
    Various types of watch and clock oils (mostly Moebius but there are french and maybe german brands too), some grease, some tubes of cement etc.
    Kit also came with three oiling cups (one missing the lid which I can make a replacement, one missing the cup so not useful).
    And a bunch of oilers, including more than a full set of the colour-coded plastic handled swiss ones I am familiar with.

It also came with several glass fountain oilers, which I gather some people like to use (I never have, yet). I don't think they are all marked and most contain oil of some kind, some of which looks congealed in there.

Should I give a try to these glass oilers for my hobby watches? If so, how should I clean them of the old oil residue in there, before putting "fresh" oil in them and labeling them?

(I attach a photo of the kit I bought, and a net photo of the glass oilers I am referring to.)

Thank you.
    --Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassoilers.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	339977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	339976  

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oils and oilers (By: rstl99)

How do you normally clean watches? You need the vessels containing your lubricants to be at least as clean. I'd pour/scoop out all I could, the wipe and then run them through an ultrasonic. Rinse in alcohol.

Never used one of those glass oilers so couldn't tell you.

Best regards
    Karl

Default Re: Oils and oilers (By: karlmansson)

I think I would use the dip oilers in the top center of the photo out of all the stuff you've got there. I've never used capillary oilers either. I'm not sure how you control the right amount of oil with those. (I actually use a Bergeon automatic oiler, but the dip oilers are my second choice.)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oils and oilers (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Thanks Karl and Dave, as suggested the dip oilers is the way I will go, since I have some experience with them on small clocks.
    I'll leave the capillary ones for someone else and may just put them up on the auction site. I could see them being useful in a shop that goes through a lot of watch servicing, but for one off's like me, the good old dip oilers probably makes more sense.
    Quite a selection of oils in that kit, I may post a list and solicit some advice on which ones would be better suited for what.
    Regards

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oils and oilers (By: rstl99)

Do you have any idea how old they are? If they are synthetics the shelf life is longer but it doesn't look like there are many recent bottles in there. They may not be fit for use.

Default Re: Oils and oilers (By: karlmansson)

I think I see a Moebius tin in the middle (white cap, $11.90 price tag). If so, that might be OK assuming it is synthetic. But, as Karl says, most of what's there should go directly to the garbage as it looks very old.