Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update

I read once that Waterbury trademarked the name Columbian in preparation for the 1893 Columbian Exposition (Chicago World's Fair). Not sure how far in advance that was, but I also noticed that my catalog said it had been discontinued. Judging by the scarcity relative to some of the other models, it wasn't used for long. The only one I've found (that was in any condition to buy) was this one in a Dueber coin silver case.

By the way, the December 1893 issue of The Waterbury (in the NAWCC Library) included this brief article advertising mourning watches, so it's possible that the "gun metal" watch with the black dial that you have in your collection might have been worn during a period of mourning - or it might be that someone just found it attractive - like I do!

Cort, I hope you don't feel we've hijacked the Addison discussion. I think it's helpful to look at all of the WWC and NEWC models and try to apply some sort of dating, and I hope you feel the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04091.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	340754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04096.jpg 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	340755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04098.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	340756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December 1893 Waterbury mourning watch.png 
Size:	458.6 KB 
ID:	340764  

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: PatH)

Quote Originally Posted by PatH View Post
    Cort, I hope you don't feel we've hijacked the Addison discussion. I think it's helpful to look at all of the WWC and NEWC models and try to apply some sort of dating, and I hope you feel the same.
    Pat, my focus is on Addisons but I'm interested in all Waterbury history. I'd retitle the discussion "Addison and other Waterbury" if I could start over. I started picking up the Addisons when my son was born (yes, Addison) and have accumulated way too many. Some I consider scarce or even rare (ever see a nickel K size?). But I have numerous Cavours and Elfins too that I've saved for my daughter. These are the only watches I collect. It is nice to know a few others share interest in this company.-Cort

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: 4thdimension)

How interesting - Addison was one of the middle names we considered for our first child. I hadn't even thought of that connection.

Along with ephemera, I collect dollar watches - primarily WWC, NEWC and a few Knickerbockers made by NEWC, and Ingersoll, as well as World Fair watches. This has only been over the last 10 years, so not an extensive collection. Learning from long-time, knowledgeable collectors like you and John is invaluable. Thank you!

Here's one that I'm not sure whether it's WWC or NEWC. Any ideas?

Name:	DSC04304.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	340786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04310.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	340787  

[QUOTE=PatH;
    Here's one that I'm not sure whether it's WWC or NEWC. [/QUOTE]
    I see no reason to doubt it is a NEWCo. product. I've never seen one like it before. Very cool! -Cort

Pat, the 2 Mourning watches are identical movement, dial and hands... The cases differ as seen in the photos, with one plain, the other a fluted design.. I'm still looking for an example with the larger face and crystal, if they were ever made that way ...

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	340817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	340818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	340819  

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: John Pavlik)

Very nice! Love the gold crown and bow. Thanks for sharing them side by side.

Time to show that I don't normally focus on the movements....Question re the aluminum movement - how can I tell an aluminum movement as compared to a steel? Were they marked?

The aluminum ones really are lighter in the hand. You can tell without opening the case. I'm fairly certain there were no movements with steel plates, only gilt and nickeled brass and a few aluminum ones. -Cort

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: 4thdimension)

I agree with Cort, they are just a light watch... 2nd though, remove the back cover, the plates just look like bare aluminum.. kind of a dull vs the shine of nickel..

Thank you, Cort and John! I'll have to open all of the backs again and see what I have.

These later NEWC watches definitely look different - a Scout G and a Cavour.

Name:	DSC03987.jpg 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	340866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04329.jpg 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	340867