Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Waterbury Addison update

I've been picking up Waterbury watches signed Addison for almost 30 years now and have two (at least) theories about them. First, the N and K size watches signed Addison predate those signed with the interwoven WWCo. logo. Second, I doubt New England Watch Co. ever used the Addison name on a watch. Anyone know otherwise or have info? -Cort

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update

Cort,

Somewhere I have some catalog pages and information, but can't lay my hands on it right now. I have Addison watches with N, K, W and no size. I have wondered if the one with no size was a NEWC watch or was a late Waterbury.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04081.jpg   DSC03961.jpg   Addison W movement.jpg   DSC04125.jpg  

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: PatH)

Cort, I'm sure you have seen this site before, other than that information has been schechty... I've had a great time with these
    little duplex wonders... Tried a put together many of the fancy dials ..

http://www.oocities.org/waterburywatch/history.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0871.jpg  

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: John Pavlik)

What a beautiful collection, John! What these watches might have lacked in mechanical ability, they certainly made up for in wonderful aesthetics: sizes, dials, cases, finishes.

The undated Waterbury Watch Co catalog (pictured below) from around 1895 included a couple of pages of fancy dials that were available for Addison and Tuxedo models at that time.

In an 1895 Waterbury Watch parts catalog (pictured below), there are parts for The Addison Movement Series W - the third watch previously pictured with the block ADDISON and small W. There are also parts listed for "The Old Addison Movement Series N" - the second watch pictured above. While this doesn't answer the question about whether Addison was ever a NEWC model, it does specify that the N preceded the W.

Will try to look through some of the other ephemera for other clues this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Addison watch dials.jpg   Tuxedo watch dials.jpg   Waterbury parts 1895.jpg   Waterbury models.jpg  

Thanks Pat... When I return home I will post the lessor seen aluminum movement ... if your interested ..

Definitely interested, John. I've read several articles in "The Waterbury" magazine where they were touting the wonders of aluminum. Would love to see the actual product!

Pat that is a wonderful catalog! It also blows up my theory that the Addison signed watches predate those with the interwoven WWCo.. That was based on two ads from 1892. One has pics of the N and K with the WWCo. logo. The other ad states "The word WATERBURY (in fine type) and the interwoven letters W.W.Co., without which no watch sold as a Waterbury is genuine." The May,1893 catalog depicts N and K watches with the WWCo. logo but also states " The above watches have either "Waterbury" or "Addison" dials and plates as desired." The 1895 catalog doesn't appear to offer the N size but only the thinner W size. We know that Waterbury changed its name to New England Watch Co. On July 1, 1898. The NEWCo. Catalog of 1900 lists no K,N or W size watches. So the information now seems to indicate the WWCo. and Addison signed watches were offered concurrently. I still doubt NEWCo. made any Addisons. Thank you Pat for providing the pics from your catalog. And John, your collection looks terrific!-Cort

Default Re: Waterbury Addison update (By: 4thdimension)

Interesting findings, Cort. Thanks for sharing. Somewhere I think I've seen some written discussion about which models were WWC and which were NEWC, and I don't know if the Addison was discussed. It seems it was in the Research news section of one of the smaller format Bulletins. Although I thought I had a photocopy of it, I don't find it in my WWC/NEWC binders right now. Will keep looking as I am far behind on scanning, photographing and filing.

John, have you noticed any markings on your Addisons that would provide further insight?

Thanks!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by PatH View Post
    Somewhere I think I've seen some written discussion about which models were WWC and which were NEWC, and I don't know if the Addison was discussed
    Pat
    The grades named in the New England Watch Co. 1900-1901 price list no. sixteen are: the S 10L Elf, 15L Z Cavour, Os O Queen Mab, 8S L/W Senator, 10S L/G Rugby, 14S R Berkshire, 14S G Cruiser, 14S Scout, 18s J Americus. A nice note at the bottom of the page reads "A four-jeweled duplex movement is the same as a seven-jeweled movement."
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 04-16-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Forgot a word <(';')> ... fixed quote

Thanks for the additional info. Do you have a Berkshire or Cruiser of which you could post pictures? Berkshire I've heard of, but Cruiser is a new one to me.

Pat, I have neither. I've had a Berkshire before but Cruisers are new to me too. Thank you again for the 1895 catalog pics! The 1893 has no color and no fancy dial pics. The emphasis is on the fancy cases. -Cort

Pat, A photo of a "N" size aluminum movement..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1084.jpg   DSCN1085.jpg  

Blog Entries

Nice box, John, love the way it nestles in it. Looks very cozy.

Very interesting, John - I have a Series N like your pictured watch, only with a brass movement and in a silver case. Could this be another identification/dating twist for Cort?

Attached is a photo of an Addison in a box - not sure if it's original to the box, but I did buy them like this. The box says Roman 1045 Addison on the end. There isn't an Addison 1045 referenced in the catalog that I have. Cort, is there one in your catalogs?

It seems there is also an Addison case - this one has a Tuxedo movement.

The plot thickens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterbury Watch Addison - N in box.jpg   DSC04111.jpg  

Pat, your ads show this Columbian movement as discontinued... Mine is a hunter cased movement, haven't seen another, have you ? It's approx a 6 size movement ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0880.JPG   IMG_0881.jpg   IMG_0882.jpg