Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Elgin A-8 Bomb timer (By: River rat)

I just pulled the sweep second hand off a 4992b and the shaft that the hand fits on measures. 0.23 mm.

Default Re: Elgin A-8 Bomb timer (By: NC Plumber)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Plumber View Post
    I just pulled the sweep second hand off a 4992b and the shaft that the hand fits on measures. 0.23 mm.
    And I just checked one of my Elgin Timer parts movements, and the post measures 0.25mm. I

'd be very cautious in installing it. Some of the parts movements I have, the only real problem is the post is broken off the sweep seconds pinion. Perhaps pushing the hand onto the post carelessly? But a too-small pipe can also lead you to pushing too hard.

The thing is, the pipe has to be a tight fit. The flyback is abrupt, and if the hand doesn't fit TIGHTLY, it will slip, and not return accurately to 0:00.

Default Re: Elgin A-8 Bomb timer (By: GeneJockey)

Learned something knew about these Elgin timers today, I have a couple and one in parts box. The running ones I have all had the large balance, checked the one in parts and its the small wheel Jitterbug style- had to look with a loop. I guess I always thought someone had robbed the balance wheel out of it all ready. Its incomplete, missing crown and the large hand in middle ( I used it for one of my others), also sadly the hairspring is twisted and staff bad. If original poster needs the center pinion let me know I think its ok on this one or can check.