Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default A Weighty Question

Hi, All,

Recently in my never-ending perusal of all things antique wood works clocks on our beloved Internet, I'm seeing more and more thirty hour weights with similar white labels on them, as shown in the attached picture. In fact, I have a few myself. All of these labels are now blank due to age and wear, and all seem almost identical: thin, very firmly attached to the weight, with a flat, glossless surface and no trace of adhesive or glue around the corners and edges. The label paper is so thin, however, that it appears as if painted on, but is not. The labels refuse any removal technique, including soaking, peeling or even chemical paint stripper.

Now I'm beginning to wonder- could these labels be original? I've seen so many lately. My notes tell me I've encountered thirteen pairs in the last month and a half. Surely this amount of "sightings" means something, doesn't it? But what? I'm guessing that the labels marked time and strike sides, or left and right. But no printed label directions in any clock I've seen refer to labels on the weights...

Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

Warmest regards to all,

George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight Closeup.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	339952  

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: George Nelson)

I had concluded that it was some sort of residual wrapping or packing material for shipping and not an informative label. but it would be very fun to hear otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Hi, All,

Recently in my never-ending perusal of all things antique wood works clocks on our beloved Internet, I'm seeing more and more thirty hour weights with similar white labels on them, as shown in the attached picture. In fact, I have a few myself. All of these labels are now blank due to age and wear, and all seem almost identical: thin, very firmly attached to the weight, with a flat, glossless surface and no trace of adhesive or glue around the corners and edges. The label paper is so thin, however, that it appears as if painted on, but is not. The labels refuse any removal technique, including soaking, peeling or even chemical paint stripper.

Now I'm beginning to wonder- could these labels be original? I've seen so many lately. My notes tell me I've encountered thirteen pairs in the last month and a half. Surely this amount of "sightings" means something, doesn't it? But what? I'm guessing that the labels marked time and strike sides, or left and right. But no printed label directions in any clock I've seen refer to labels on the weights...

Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

Warmest regards to all,

George
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user. Troy Livingston's Avatar

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: THTanner)

It looks like residue from tape, perhaps someone had a stash of weights taped in pairs. I have seen similar marks left on objects.
    It has been a while but I don't remember any solvent being particularly good at removing the stuff. Perhaps Goo Gone? Otherwise you will probably have to resort to harsher methods, heat or a fine bristled wire brush.

Troy

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: Troy Livingston)

I would think a mild flame would take care of it at least to the point of being able to easily get the rest off with a nylon or wire brush after it is charred and the flame really should not hurt the metal if you keep the temp down.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Livingston View Post
    It looks like residue from tape, perhaps someone had a stash of weights taped in pairs. I have seen similar marks left on objects.
    It has been a while but I don't remember any solvent being particularly good at removing the stuff. Perhaps Goo Gone? Otherwise you will probably have to resort to harsher methods, heat or a fine bristled wire brush.

Troy
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: THTanner)

ThTanner and Troy,

Thank you both for your responses. Once I am positive that there is no chance of the "labels" being original, I will try both methods: heat and a wire brush. I do want to be sure about removal. It seems like such a common situation that I'm still a bit curious about it. Most likely wishful thinking on my part... And then, somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember a type of white cloth tape that used to leave a similar residue if left on too long. Perhaps that was it?

Thank you both for your comments and ideas!

Best,

George

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: George Nelson)

I don't recall seeing this before. Where are you finding these weights? Perhaps they all have some common source connection.

RC

Default Re: A Weighty Question (By: R. Croswell)

Hi, RC,
    Most of the weights with the 'labels" are on eBay and other auction sites, including Horton's. Lately, I've been seeing them everywhere, but I can find no common source.

Best,

George