Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user. TheTickTockDoc's Avatar

Default Jacques/Baden 6 Tube Grandfather - Missing Pieces! Help!

Hello Friends! Always something interesting in the shop. Today, I went to look at a very nice Jacques 6 tube grandfather. It was bought (maybe used) in 1932. The family said it wasn't working....no kidding...it's missing a bunch of the rack assembly and the strike assembly was tied off with wire. (because it wouldn't stop striking no doubt) Although I've looked on line for pictures of the movement, I have not been successful locating any pictures to help me see exactly what it missing, and what I have to find/manufacture. I know that I have talked to Jacques fans out there. So, if you can help, I need some pictures, some parts and some information about this clock. Date of manufacture would be nice. Here are the pics. Thanks in advance for all of your kind help. Rich

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7178.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	530.1 KB 
ID:	339932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7179.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	339933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7180.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	339934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7181.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	339935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7183.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	370.2 KB 
ID:	339936  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7184.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	339937  

Default Re: Jacques/Baden 6 Tube Grandfather - Missing Pieces! Help! (By: TheTickTockDoc)

1932 was probably around the time the clock was made as Jacques did not end until the following year.

This movement was formerly sold under the 'Monastery' name when Jacques was working with Bawo & Dotter. When he joined Borgfeldt, all movements were now simply signed with the cursive 'Jacques' and treble cleft.

This old thread shows a photo of the front of this type of movement. The rack piece is similar to the chime side except its teeth are a bit smaller and the rack is longer. You can use the photo and existing chime rack to measure out a piece that will work.
    It may be good to make a practice piece first out of cheaper material before doing the final piece from steel.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...s-6-tube-bells
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Jacques/Baden 6 Tube Grandfather - Missing Pieces! Help! (By: chimeclockfan)

Thanks. Looks like I am missing 5 pieces......wow. This isn't really a stretch for my abilities....but I don't do this a lot. Well....this should be fun......

I wonder if anyone out there has an old movement?

Rich

Default Re: Jacques/Baden 6 Tube Grandfather - Missing Pieces! Help! (By: TheTickTockDoc)

Spares for these Jacques clocks do not turn up very often. As spares dwindle in supply, it is encouraged to make parts anew to repair existing clocks. Good luck.

Default Re: Jacques/Baden 6 Tube Grandfather - Missing Pieces! Help! (By: chimeclockfan)

Right...I pretty much figured that. I was looking at the racks and levers in the Timesavers catalogue wondering if I can make some of those work by modification? Probably not.....

I can reproduce these parts from scratch. The attached picture shows what I am missing. Where do I get the brass bushings? I don't see them in any of the normal supplier catalogs. Also, if anyone would want to give me a quote to reproduce these parts, I may just sub them out as my shop is completely full of work right now. Please PM me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jacques Movement - Complete.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	340694  

I would think hardware suppliers may have suitable brass bushings. See if a local shop stocks something that'll work.